Future PC Build

CalebOWolf

Planning a new PC Build, wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for me and also potential conflicts with my build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 Ti OC
RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AIO
Thermal Paste: Corsair CM30
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme
Storage: Corsair Neutron NX500 1.6 TB
Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
Case: Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2
PSU: Corsair AXi / HXi 1000-1600W
Fans: Corsair LL120 / 140mm RGB Fans
ETC: Internal 2.0 Hub
Internal 3.0 Hub
Corsair Commander Pro
Corsair Lighting Node Pro
Corsair Fan Hub
Elgato HD60 Capture Card
Logitech Brio
Kensington Fingerprint Lock
Bluetooth Adapter
GPU Sag Bracket (ASUS or no branding)
RGB Addressble Strips
Razer Goloatus Extended Chroma
Razer Firefly Cloth Chroma
Razer Nomo Chroma Speakers

Notes:
I don't want to use any NZXT CAM products because of the problems that I've heard about it so no NZXT CAM products.

I have 2 razer products, I love their rainbow wave / spectrum cycle for their keyboards and mouse and hope that I can somewhat include that into my build.

I'm wanting to build a PC because I am sick of having manufacturer restrictions on what I can do with my current PC, the software and drivers are garbage to use, I just want to be able to have my own customizable PC that I can upgrade in the future, some devices don't work well with my current PC and cause me to have to reset them, the fans spin up when not needed, the selection of ports is limited and not the best, the display ports (not displayport connection) don't make any sense because one works better than the other ones, finally I just want to have full control over my PC and not have it be so secure, loud, and frustrating to deal with.

I hope I have better luck with this system as well as having it in the near future. Hope every suggestion can be taken into account when building the system and to help me out along the way.
Thanks,
Caleb

There's a lot of things you said that don't lineup very well to a the reality of what a new pc will bring you, and there's a lot of problems with the components you picked out

Whats your goal of this build? What games/software? At what resolution/refresh rate? Do you have a monitor already? What's your current computer?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

32 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

Planning a new PC Build, wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for me and also potential conflicts with my build.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme
1. Storage: Corsair Neutron NX500 1.6 TB
2. PSU: Corsair AXi / HXi 1000-1600W
3. ETC: Internal 2.0 Hub
4. Internal 3.0 Hub
Corsair Commander Pro
5. Corsair Fan Hub
6. Logitech Brio
7. Kensington Fingerprint Lock
8. Bluetooth Adapter
9. RGB Addressble Strips
10. Razer Goloatus Extended Chroma
10. Razer Firefly Cloth Chroma

Notes:
11. I don't want to use any NZXT CAM products

12. I have 2 razer products, I love their rainbow wave / spectrum cycle for their keyboards and mouse and hope that I can somewhat include that into my build.

I'm wanting to build a PC because I am sick of having manufacturer restrictions on what I can do with my current PC, the software and drivers are garbage to use, I just want to be able to have my own customizable PC that I can upgrade in the future, some devices don't work well with my current PC and cause me to have to reset them, the fans spin up when not needed, the selection of ports is limited and not the best, the display ports (not displayport connection) don't make any sense because one works better than the other ones, finally I just want to have full control over my PC and not have it be so secure, loud, and frustrating to deal with.

This took a while.

1. I had to look up what this was and im sorry but what a waste of money. Just get a normal NVME and put that in.  

2. Overkill PSU. Again a waste of money. Your system will never reach the power draw required to even get close to this.

3 and 4. Any reason why you need all the USB hubs? You dont have a enough internal components to even warrant needing even just 1 additional hub.

5. Commander Pro is a fan hub

6. 4K webcam? Why? Do you want to eat through all your storage space with some recording and have insanely long compression times? Again there is no point for this. If you are recording videos you would be better off with an actual camera to record. If however this is for facetiming or twitch streaming, 4k is wasted and you should be going with 1080p. Upload/download speed would play a huge factor in any streaming and a 4k video recording will not do you or your audience any favours.

7. This is a desktop build right? I dont know if its just me, but if somebody breaks into my room and steals my PC, I dont think they will both with logging on. They are going to scrap it for parts. So whats the point in a fingerprint sensor?

8. Your MB has bluetooth built in so this is pointless

9. You can get the corsair strips

10 and 10 (yes 10 twice) So you plan to have an RGB mousepad on top of an RGB mouse mat? Again is there any reason for this?

11. You dont need NZXT CAM. You can use Corsair icue for your system lights with the corsair products and it has a dashboard for temps

12. Razer software for RGB on razer products

I dont know what the reason for half the hardware in this build is even for but you should put what you want into pcpartpicker to see if it identifies any conflicts.

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

On 3/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, Findiculous said:

This took a while.

1. I had to look up what this was and im sorry but what a waste of money. Just get a normal NVME and put that in.  

2. Overkill PSU. Again a waste of money. Your system will never reach the power draw required to even get close to this.

3 and 4. Any reason why you need all the USB hubs? You dont have a enough internal components to even warrant needing even just 1 additional hub.

5. Commander Pro is a fan hub

6. 4K webcam? Why? Do you want to eat through all your storage space with some recording and have insanely long compression times? Again there is no point for this. If you are recording videos you would be better off with an actual camera to record. If however this is for facetiming or twitch streaming, 4k is wasted and you should be going with 1080p. Upload/download speed would play a huge factor in any streaming and a 4k video recording will not do you or your audience any favours.

7. This is a desktop build right? I dont know if its just me, but if somebody breaks into my room and steals my PC, I dont think they will both with logging on. They are going to scrap it for parts. So whats the point in a fingerprint sensor?

8. Your MB has bluetooth built in so this is pointless

9. You can get the corsair strips

10 and 10 (yes 10 twice) So you plan to have an RGB mousepad on top of an RGB mouse mat? Again is there any reason for this?

11. You dont need NZXT CAM. You can use Corsair icue for your system lights with the corsair products and it has a dashboard for temps

12. Razer software for RGB on razer products

I dont know what the reason for half the hardware in this build is even for but you should put what you want into pcpartpicker to see if it identifies any conflicts.

1. Whats better Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Western Digitial SN750 1TB, or Corsair Neutron NX500 1.6TB

2. Which corsair psu would I need?

3 and 4. I just want to make sure that I'm futureproof because I don't know how many usb ports i'll need

5. It's also an rgb controller and has two extra usb ports

6. I will be using the webcam for theese reasons. 1080p60 Windows Hello Facecam

7. Yes its a backup option and a quicker way in case my webcam dosen't work

8. Ok then Thanks for the note

9. Well then, now I can get those

10a and 10b. Yes, well actually I have no idea why I would want this. Now that I think about it I really dont need it.

11. I know about icue and synapse but I just wanted to make sure that no CAM products are included for this list

12. Yes I already have 2 products

I am now gotten my main PC for right now backup and running. I'll check that today.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, Slottr said:

There's a lot of things you said that don't lineup very well to a the reality of what a new pc will bring you, and there's a lot of problems with the components you picked out

Whats your goal of this build? What games/software? At what resolution/refresh rate? Do you have a monitor already? What's your current computer?

My goal for this build is to use it for gaming, web browsing, coding, and also as well as video editing

Games and Software: Theres a lot that I have in mind that I can't tell off the top of my head right now

Resolution and refresh rate: 1080p+ 120fps+

Monitor: yes, old yes, bad display no, akward resolution yes 1440x900

Current PC is an HP elitedesk 800 g3 65w desktop mini TRASH PC but I can deal with it for right now

8 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

My goal for this build is to use it for gaming, web browsing, coding, and also as well as video editing

Games and Software: Theres a lot that I have in mind that I can't tell off the top of my head right now

Resolution and refresh rate: 1080p+ 120fps+

Monitor: yes, old yes, bad display no, akward resolution yes 1440x900

Current PC is an HP elitedesk 800 g3 65w desktop mini TRASH PC but I can deal with it for right now

So do you do you need a high performing PC or something that will work? That montior sucks, and you definitely won't need past 60fps in games- sure won't be hard to hit that at that resolution either

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

16 minutes ago, Slottr said:

So do you do you need a high performing PC or something that will work? That montior sucks, and you definitely won't need past 60fps in games- sure won't be hard to hit that at that resolution either

Yes

It does and I actually do because I really want to try and get higher than 60, its a good framerate dont get me wrong but 120 or 144 is better in my opinon

You should be looking at a 2560 x 1440 or 3440 x 1440 if going with a 2080 ti. Makes no sense to spend all this money and game at 1080p.

A lot cheaper than your build (Not including the fans/hubs and other bits) with more storage, a 9900K and a 27" 2560 x 1440p 165Hz G-Sync screen. 

The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master has a solid VRM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($525.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($289.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($697.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($1299.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P600S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG279QZ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($599.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3840.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 18:14 EDT-0400

1 hour ago, CalebOWolf said:

Yes

It does and I actually do because I really want to try and get higher than 60, its a good framerate dont get me wrong but 120 or 144 is better in my opinon

Having more fps on a 60hz monitor won't do anything  

2 hours ago, CalebOWolf said:

1. Whats better Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Western Digitial SN750 1TB, or Corsair Neutron NX500 1.6TB

2. Which corsair psu would I need?

3 and 4. I just want to make sure that I'm futureproof because I don't know how many usb ports i'll need

5. It's also an rgb controller and has two extra usb ports

6. I will be using the webcam for theese reasons. 1080p60 Windows Hello Facecam

7. Yes its a backup option and a quicker way in case my webcam dosen't work

8. Ok then Thanks for the note

9. Well then, now I can get those

10a and 10b. Yes, well actually I have no idea why I would want this. Now that I think about it I really dont need it.

11. I know about icue and synapse but I just wanted to make sure that no CAM products are included for this list

12. Yes I already have 2 products

I am now gotten my main PC for right now backup and running. I'll check that today.

1. I mean just look at the price of the Corsair Neutron. Its 5x the price of a 1TB 970 Pro and is basically the same functionality. So do the math. It should be obvious that you dont need the Neutron. WD Black would be fine yes or the Samsung. I run Samsung 970s in mine.

2. With what you have built You will probably only need a 650w PSU. 750w max.

3 and 4. You dont need that many ports even for "futureproofing"

5. Yes thats my point. You put in:

"Corsair Commander Pro
Corsair Fan Hub"

But the Commander Pro comes with a Lighting node pro and is in itself a Fan Hub so im not sure why you separated commander pro and fan hub.

6. ....then you really really really do not need a 4k webcam if you are only going to use it for 1080p...i cant tell if you were joking with the original post with a 4k camera

7. So you plan to have this ugly USB device sticking out of your front panel to swipe your finger? Can you not just remember a password?

8. k

9. k

10. k

11. You know NZXT cam is a software right? Its not mandatory to use it. Just like you can use MSI afterburner with an ASUS GPU or NZXT CAM with a system that has no NZXT hardware. The comment in general is redundant. 

12. k

CPU
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

1st Drive

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
4th Hard Disk

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
Processor Cooling

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

21 hours ago, Slottr said:

Having more fps on a 60hz monitor won't do anything  

So basically 120+ dosen't change anything at all? its just better smoothness and motion blur is what I'm seeing about it

21 hours ago, Findiculous said:

1. I mean just look at the price of the Corsair Neutron. Its 5x the price of a 1TB 970 Pro and is basically the same functionality. So do the math. It should be obvious that you dont need the Neutron. WD Black would be fine yes or the Samsung. I run Samsung 970s in mine.

2. With what you have built You will probably only need a 650w PSU. 750w max.

3 and 4. You dont need that many ports even for "futureproofing"

5. Yes thats my point. You put in:

"Corsair Commander Pro
Corsair Fan Hub"

But the Commander Pro comes with a Lighting node pro and is in itself a Fan Hub so im not sure why you separated commander pro and fan hub.

6. ....then you really really really do not need a 4k webcam if you are only going to use it for 1080p...i cant tell if you were joking with the original post with a 4k camera

7. So you plan to have this ugly USB device sticking out of your front panel to swipe your finger? Can you not just remember a password?

8. k

9. k

10. k

11. You know NZXT cam is a software right? Its not mandatory to use it. Just like you can use MSI afterburner with an ASUS GPU or NZXT CAM with a system that has no NZXT hardware. The comment in general is redundant. 

12. k

1. Now I see your point, it would be better if I did go with that instead of the Neutron. I just wanted to make sure that I wasen't getting ripped off here because of the differences that I've seen between the the samsung and the wd black

2. would 850 be better or worse? I've heard that more watts are worse but I don't know.

3 and 4. k, what would it be better for though, I've seen ppl who needed extra usb ports 2.0 the most but I dont know if that would be better or worse at all.

5. I see now, thanks for that

6. No I wasn't I actually wanted a webcam that can do 1080p60 for (insert reasons mentioned above here) 1080p60 Windows Hello Facecam

7. It does make more sense now and I actually haven't even seen anyone else even use it at all so yea cut that out.

11. We'll mark that as solved then

12 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

So basically 120+ dosen't change anything at all? its just better smoothness and motion blur is what I'm seeing about it

You won't see a difference between 60fps and 120fps on a 60hz display.

13 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You won't see a difference between 60fps and 120fps on a 60hz display.

Well then, I'm debating between getting the pg27uq and the xg258q (excluding pricing) which one bc I want to go with the pg (again not pricing) but the xg has somethings that the pg dosen't.

4 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

Well then, I'm debating between getting the pg27uq and the xg258q (excluding pricing) which one bc I want to go with the pg (again not pricing) but the xg has somethings that the pg dosen't.

If you can't decide between those two monitors, which are so different, maybe you should take a step back and think about what you really need and want.

Figure out if you want resolution or refresh rate, if you want workstation performance or gaming performance.

Running 144hz 4K is extremely difficult and not worth the money right now.

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If you can't decide between those two monitors, which are so different, maybe you should take a step back and think about what you really need and want.

Figure out if you want resolution or refresh rate, if you want workstation performance or gaming performance.

Running 144hz 4K is extremely difficult and not worth the money right now.

Ok so I figured this out, I want a monitor that can at least run 60 not below it, the resolution has to be 1920x1080, and I want it to be for gaming and from asus.

27 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

1. Now I see your point, it would be better if I did go with that instead of the Neutron. I just wanted to make sure that I wasen't getting ripped off here because of the differences that I've seen between the the samsung and the wd black

2. would 850 be better or worse? I've heard that more watts are worse but I don't know.

3 and 4. k, what would it be better for though, I've seen ppl who needed extra usb ports 2.0 the most but I dont know if that would be better or worse at all.

5. I see now, thanks for that

6. No I wasn't I actually wanted a webcam that can do 1080p60 for (insert reasons mentioned above here) 1080p60 Windows Hello Facecam

7. It does make more sense now and I actually haven't even seen anyone else even use it at all so yea cut that out.

11. We'll mark that as solved then

1. The 970 might be a bit faster than the WD Black but really it doesnt matter which you pick as both are functionally the same. You honestly wont notice much of a difference.

2. "More watts are worse" is a myth. Its been debunked many times. The fact that your PSU has the capability to draw 850W of power doesnt mean it will. The 850W just means its roughly the max the PSU CAN draw from the socket. The only real downside of getting a PSU with a huge wattage output is that its just a waste of money for a function you will never use (again even with future proofing it is very very unlikely you will end up reaching 850W in 5 years time unless you decided to SLI 2080Ti cards.

In short, if there is a deal on where an 850W is cheaper than a 750W for the same make, model etc then by all means grab that because its a deal. But dont be paying over $400 for a PSU when you actually only need the power of at most a $130 PSU (roughly)

3 and 4. Have you actually seen why they need the extra ports and then compared it to your own build? If you can actually see that all your components together will be more ports than available, then go ahead. Otherwise again its wasting money and also actually creates a problem with space and more cable management.

6. I dont know why you would really want the windows hello feature but i dont really want to argue with you on this.

7. Okay

11. Yep can mark that as solved

CPU
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

1st Drive

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
4th Hard Disk

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
Processor Cooling

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

6 minutes ago, CalebOWolf said:

Ok so I figured this out, I want a monitor that can at least run 60 not below it, the resolution has to be 1920x1080, and I want it to be for gaming and from asus.

This is all you need then:

While I personally use an Asus display, I can't recommend buying one as their RMA process is absolutely horrible. 

29 minutes ago, Findiculous said:

1. The 970 might be a bit faster than the WD Black but really it doesnt matter which you pick as both are functionally the same. You honestly wont notice much of a difference.

2. "More watts are worse" is a myth. Its been debunked many times. The fact that your PSU has the capability to draw 850W of power doesnt mean it will. The 850W just means its roughly the max the PSU CAN draw from the socket. The only real downside of getting a PSU with a huge wattage output is that its just a waste of money for a function you will never use (again even with future proofing it is very very unlikely you will end up reaching 850W in 5 years time unless you decided to SLI 2080Ti cards.

In short, if there is a deal on where an 850W is cheaper than a 750W for the same make, model etc then by all means grab that because its a deal. But dont be paying over $400 for a PSU when you actually only need the power of at most a $130 PSU (roughly)

3 and 4. Have you actually seen why they need the extra ports and then compared it to your own build? If you can actually see that all your components together will be more ports than available, then go ahead. Otherwise again its wasting money and also actually creates a problem with space and more cable management.

6. I dont know why you would really want the windows hello feature but i dont really want to argue with you on this.

7. Okay

11. Yep can mark that as solved

1. I'll go ahead and close this off by saying this. 970 Pro is my choice of my storage

2. So I shoudun't need anything above 850 then? and not be spending over $400+ for it then.

3 and 4. I'll say this, I'll put them off for now until I need it. For now its solved

6. Okay then, I'll just have to look elsewhere then so we can mark this as solved

7. Done

11. Done