The Windows Boot Manager saved my life.

Disclaimer: I shared this story on Reddit, and wanted to share it with you guys as well. Seeing as we can all learn from my mistake.

Anything red means it was for the original community (PCMR) I posted it on.

Buckle in, this is a long one.

Okay, so if you've ever gotten a new SSD, reinstalled Windows, or have a dual boot, you've most likely seen the Windows Boot Manager. You know, the one that looks like this. Most people want to get rid of it, but this thing literally saved me days of reinstalling everything.

This story starts like most on this sub, with somebody being an idiot. That idiot was me. I love Vista. The part of my life I really spent interest in computers was during the Vista era, and my parents had a Vista laptop. I love the Aero glass UI, and wanted it on Windows 10. Now I know, there's Win8AeroGlass, but I couldn't stand the watermark. No free advertising on my PCs (apart from the countless number of stickers on my MacBook, obviously).

I'm pretty deep into the customization world, and have theme patchers. I found a .msstyles file for Aero glass and I tried it out. That's when it all broke down.

My PC started freaking out, then went to a black screen. Mouse still worked, but no Ctrl-Alt-Del, or anything like that. Crap.

I quickly went to my phone to Google the solution, and there was! Go into the Windows Recovery Environment > Troubleshooting > Advanced Options > Command Prompt and delete the troublesome themes and replace them with the working Windows 10 one. Perfect! All I need to do is grab my USB, and... crap! My flash drive was currently used by some footage. And the footage was only on that flash drive. Plus, I couldn't even install Windows 10 onto it anyway because my brother wasn't letting me use my laptop MacBook was currently occupied.

I decided to take a chance and hit my reset button to see if restarting would fix it. Long story short: It didn't.

I restarted because now the only thing that appeared was the black screen. No login or anything. Great.

But that's when I saw it. On the boot manager. Change defaults or other options.

I clicked it, and hooray! I got to command prompt, and deleted the files, booted into safe mode to change the theme back, and... you've gotta be kidding me!

Every attempt to login booted me back to the login screen. Great.

I went back to command prompt, and it turns out that I didn't delete the resource folder. I did, booted to safe mode, and... I've never been so happy to see that copy of Castle Crashers on my desktop.

I changed the theme, booted into normal Windows, and here I am, 15 minutes later. I'm not kidding, the first thing I did when it booted (other than fixing a couple things) was go to Reddit to tell this story.

TD;LR: If you use Windows, use System Restore/Make backups and prepare for the worst.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

This is why you should create backups, #5125.

It's great that you've managed to fixed it up without much problem. Though you really should've kicked your brother off your own laptop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

tbh I don't get why people liked Aero. It slowed things down and looks really ugly imo

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

27 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

My flash drive was currently used by some footage.

It never hurts to have some extra flash drives laying around.  Don't be like me though, I have a Flash drive hoarding problem.