Eee PC 901 Ubuntu 10.10 to another Operating system

I've got this old computer eee pc 901. It has the best specs ever!!!

A whole 20 gb SSD  SSD's largest storage ever!

1 gb DDR2    DDR2 at its finest

Intel Atom shit SOOOOO COOL

1.3 megapixels webcamera :o Mind blown

So as you heard in the title I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is very heavy for the computer and outdated. So I have a few questions.

What Operating system should I get? I was personally thinking Puppy linux since it would run pretty good on the system (use a fourth of the ram) and I don't think the graphics are THAT bad. Although I can upgrade to a better/worse if you recommend it. I love the  style of Xubuntu but thats a bit too heavy? I'm not very good on "unix" based systems so I would love a pretty easy to use one so not something like DNS or SliTaz.

And how do I install it? Is it complicated overwriting the old and installing the new?

And if I were to go with Puppy, is this a theme like I can install?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55220

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

So as you heard in the title I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is very heavy for the computer and outdated. So I have a few questions.

What Operating system should I get? I was personally thinking Puppy linux since it would run pretty good on the system (use a fourth of the ram) and I don't think the graphics are THAT bad. Although I can upgrade to a better/worse if you recommend it. I love the  style of Xubuntu but thats a bit too heavy? I'm not very good on "unix" based systems so I would love a pretty easy to use one so not something like DNS or SliTaz.

And how do I install it? Is it complicated overwriting the old and installing the new?

I used to run netbook ubuntu on my EEE PC and it ran alright, got what needed to be done done

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I used to run netbook ubuntu on my EEE PC and it ran alright, got what needed to be done done

Yeah, that is just a little too heavy. But good answer

Yeah, that is just a little too heavy. But good answer

I've been out of the ubuntu game for a while but it was fiddly trying to use ubuntu on that tiny touchpad and there were some quirky issues on that laptop when I changed the OS

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Hey man that beats my 701 with a whopping 4gb of ssd space and its pentium m. You could run xp or linux, thats what most of the original eee pc's were designed to run.

Hey man that beats my 701 with a whopping 4gb of ssd space and its pentium m. You could run xp or linux, thats what most of the original eee pc's were designed to run.

XP is outdated too. I could again use something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhi_Linux Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint_Linux_OS

Personally I'd use crunchbang on it, uses the OpenBox WM, very lightweight.

Puppy is designed to be ran from the USB drive, not installed on a PC. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

• 3 weeks later...

I know I just said that because that what many of them were designed to run.

Someone gave me their eee 900 which has the fused 4GB SSD boot and secondary very slow 16GB ssd. so disappoint, I have not found anything to install on. everything I have tried wants more than 8GB of hard drive space.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Someone gave me their eee 900 which has the fused 4GB SSD boot and secondary very slow 16GB ssd. so disappoint, I have not found anything to install on. everything I have tried wants more than 8GB of hard drive space.

I still have my original 701 which has the 4gb and I think I put a 64gb in for the secondary. I was lucky as the slot for the secondary was taken away to save costs on the revision. The reason the secondary is slow is that its a overglorified flash drive likely with a ide interface on it. There were only two brands I can remeber offer compatible models with sata controllers, one being ocz, but they were crazy expensive.

You can fit a cut down version on the 4gb partition, just. I think I used nlite back in the day?

What about the latest version of Lubuntu? It might be a bit better than what's on it without sacrificing the functionality that's built into the Ubuntu package.

What about the latest version of Lubuntu? It might be a bit better than what's on it without sacrificing the functionality that's built into the Ubuntu package.

installed crunchbang on it. Runs fine.

Personally I'd use crunchbang on it, uses the OpenBox WM, very lightweight.

Puppy is designed to be ran from the USB drive, not installed on a PC. 

I don't know about Crunchbang, but as far as your comment on Puppy--not true.

I've installed several puppies until I finally installed MacPup 550 on the 40GB hard drive of my old Acer Aspire 3000. It runs great from the hard drive.

I suggest trying to find your favorite Puppy or pup-variant for your laptop with such awesome specs. ;-) 

I don't know about Crunchbang, but as far as your comment on Puppy--not true.

I've installed several puppies until I finally installed MacPup 550 on the 40GB hard drive of my old Acer Aspire 3000. It runs great from the hard drive.

I suggest trying to find your favorite Puppy or pup-variant for your laptop with such awesome specs. ;-) 

I said designed to be, not should only be.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Debian  ^_^