Using dual PSU's please help!

Mat in the hat

I have two 980 Ti's with a i7 7700k, which i believe would pull too many watts since it is OC'd. I have a dilemma, one 980 Ti uses two 6+2-pin power cords which comes from my 650 watt PSU (Modular). The second GPU uses one 6-pin and one 8-pin power cord, I have a secondary PSU which is 500 watts (Non modular) that has only two 6-pin power cords. So, the question is, can i use the 6-pin from the 500 watt on the second GPU,  and an 8-pin power cord from the 650 watt? (The 650 watt has three 6+2-pin power cords). I will probably buy an "Add2psu" adapter for the second PSU. I'm sorry for the confusing post I just need help because i can't afford another PSU and don't want to fry anything. 

Power is power, it wont care where its coming from, as long as its getting the proper power. So yes, in theory, your plan should work. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What are the make and model of these power supplies?

3 minutes ago, Mat in the hat said:

I have a secondary PSU which is 500 watts (Non modular) that has only two 6-pin power cords

Is that in total or just on one PCIe power cable? I use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin if this happens to me.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

650 Watt - three 6+2- pin power cords

500 watt - two 6-pin power cords

My first GPU will be powered by the two 6+2- pin power cords from the 650 watt

And i'm trying to power my second one up using one 6-pin power cord from the 500 watt PSU and the third 6+2-pin power cord from the 650 Watt PSU, so the second GPU will have a cord from both PSU's I wanted to know if it was safe. I do have an dual 6-pin to 8-pin power adapter, but then ill have to use a 6+2- pin power cord from the 650 watt. So, either way I have to use a cord from each PSU :( Skiiwee29 said it should work. What do you think?

Also, do I need a "Add2PSU" for them to power up..or is it just the safest way?

1 minute ago, Mat in the hat said:

Also, do I need a "Add2PSU" for them to power up..or is it just the safest way?

Yeah, otherwise you have to find some way to trip the second PSU to turn on. The adapter is way easier to deal with

2 minutes ago, Mat in the hat said:

650 Watt - three 6+2- pin power cords

500 watt - two 6-pin power cords

My first GPU will be powered by the two 6+2- pin power cords from the 650 watt

And i'm trying to power my second one up using one 6-pin power cord from the 500 watt PSU and the third 6+2-pin power cord from the 650 Watt PSU, so the second GPU will have a cord from both PSU's I wanted to know if it was safe. I do have an dual 6-pin to 8-pin power adapter, but then ill have to use a 6+2- pin power cord from the 650 watt. So, either way I have to use a cord from each PSU :( Skiiwee29 said it should work. What do you think?

I did something similar with my brother's 780 lol, it works and it was a little funny too because I was running both our systems off our PSUs combined. The 6+2 pins from the 650 watt PSU and the 6 pin from the 500 watt will combine effectively. As long as both power supplies are switched on so all the power is delivered, you're good.

(and don't forget, use @skiwee29, although mine won't turn orange for some reason)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I did something similar with my brother's 780 lol, it works and it was a little funny too because I was running both our systems off our PSUs combined. The 6+2 pins from the 650 watt PSU and the 6 pin from the 500 watt will combine effectively. As long as both power supplies are switched on so all the power is delivered, you're good.

Austin Evans did something very similar to this in that one season of Scrapyard Wars he was in.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Mat in the hat said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I've never had an account :') I've only lurked! You people are super helpful and informational!.

Glad we could be of help, and welcome to the forums! :D

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

@Crunchy Dragon iirc linus did say in a different video (at freegeek) that he should have used some kind of a cable to link both

Most likely.

7 minutes ago, Mat in the hat said:

I'm not sure about that one.

Ideally you might want something more like this: https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Second-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B07543LNRH

Crunchy Dragon Darn, I figured it would be the same!, I would buy the molex one but my 650 watt doesnt have molex. I'm looking into the one you gave me

Don't do this. If you don't have a good enough PSU to do SLI, just don't do it. It's just as simple as that. I'm pretty sure @TheRandomness fried a GPU doing this, and he knows what he is doing.

What are your PSUs?

Where are you from?

What stores do you buy stuff from?

Just now, Mat in the hat said:

Did you do it just as I described, or how did you do yours?

I highly doubt any frying would happen, but more specifically, my own system setup was different, as it was one PSU sharing power with another and two systems were running off two PSUs.

Primary PC:

@fasauceome should i use the 500 watt to power the mother board and the 650 to power the two gpus? i just don't know what to do then :(

1 minute ago, Mat in the hat said:

@fasauceome should i use the 500 watt to power the mother board and the 650 to power the two gpus? i just don't know what to do then :(

I like @Crunchy Dragon's idea with the dual 24 pin, but if you're iffy on the process my real recommendation is to only use a power supply that has the appropriate connectors for the job, as a rule of thumb.

Primary PC:

@fasauceome I really hope there is no risk..i have two things coming in the mail, another 6+2- pin power cable and some psu sync, should i just use the 500 to power my cpu and mobo, hard drives and the 650 for the cards?