BEST RAID ENCLOSURE FOR HOME WORKSTATION

Q_ball

Hi everyone!

I'm an editor, for half of my gigs I'm working from home, and I really don't want to have a ton of desktop drives for backing up footage. So, obviously I thought a raid enclosure in a raid 5 with 18-24tb would be perfect! But I'm not paying g-tech $5k, like most of my older colleagues do (like what?),  and the reviews for most enclosures on new egg are not the best. So what should I get? I'm looking to get 7200rpm 6tb drives so I can edit from the box when I need to, so the enclosure can't be a bottle neck. 

Thanks in advance!

You could get a Qnap enclosure (Not sure how many drive bays you need). I would recommend RAID6 though. Also 8TB drives tend to be the better storage per dollar that I've seen usually.

Otherwise you can repurpose an old PC to be a FreeNAS box.

At that capacity I would strongly recommend RAID 6, and you would be looking at NAS, minimum of 4 drives if you get large ones like 12tb.

20 minutes ago, Q_ball said:

Hi everyone!

I'm an editor, for half of my gigs I'm working from home, and I really don't want to have a ton of desktop drives for backing up footage. So, obviously I thought a raid enclosure in a raid 5 with 18-24tb would be perfect! But I'm not paying g-tech $5k, like most of my older colleagues do (like what?),  and the reviews for most enclosures on new egg are not the best. So what should I get? I'm looking to get 7200rpm 6tb drives so I can edit from the box when I need to, so the enclosure can't be a bottle neck. 

Thanks in advance!

If you are a little more tech savvy and don't pay for power and don't mind the noise, I would just buy an Ebay server. There are some ones like the Dell Poweredge r710 and HP Proliant DL180 G6 that would work nicely, and they can be sent to your house in the US for under $200. None of the new premade enclosures are worth the price in my opinion. Not to mention, the server comes with tons of management and reliability focused features.

What is your workstation set up?

Also if you set up a server you can use it as a personal cloud storage.Plenty of sample builds out there for a cheap-ish DIY "NAS". Hell, any desktop with plenty of drive bays, beefy power supply, and a good RAID card would do you well for transfer speeds.