cannot reset my laptop

iLostMyXbox21

hi so i wanna factory reset my laptop (windows 10 home) and it keeps saying it can’t update, that nothing was changed. how do i fix?

honestly idc if i have to reinstall windows, i just want a fresh laptop because i have too many junk files on it

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Honestly, just reinstall Windows if you already backed up your data. Delete the partitions on the disk during the install, that'll take care of it.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Honestly, just reinstall Windows if you already backed up your data. Delete the partitions on the disk during the install, that'll take care of it.

uhhh how do i do that?

like, make a bootable usb and then go through the install process? then what?

Who is this Connor you speak of?

On a more serious note, just boot from a Windows USB as if it was a brand new PC to reset it. I would also maybe try some Linux distros like Bunsenlabs or MX Linux (some of my personal favourites), or maybe even ChromiumOS (I highly recommend Neverware's Cloudready...installer? OS? Whatever...).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

On a more serious note, just boot from a Windows USB as if it was a brand new PC to reset it. I would also maybe try some Linux distros like Bunsenlabs or MX Linux (some of my personal favourites), or maybe even ChromiumOS (I highly recommend Neverware's Cloudready...installer? OS? Whatever...).

How is the chromium os experience? I have been very impressed with the speed of chromeos on my chromebook. I typically prefer a debian experience for my PCs, but I have been curious about how chromiumos performs on a "real" pc. 

do you know if:
you can run docker on it?
how far from the chromeos experience it is?
anything else that might be good to know?

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

10 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

How is the chromium os experience? I have been very impressed with the speed of chromeos on my chromebook. I typically prefer a debian experience for my PCs, but I have been curious about how chromiumos performs on a "real" pc. 

do you know if:
you can run docker on it?
how far from the chromeos experience it is?
anything else that might be good to know?

It's pretty good. It's nowhere near as good as an off-the-shelf Chromebook (at least with the one laptop I've tried, a C2D Macbook Air) as it still has some minor issues that other Linux distros have (again, I've only tested it on one machine) like some small trackpad issues and whatnot.

Overall, it's a very solid experience, and if your options are buying a Chromebook or installing ChromiumOS on an existing machine, you might as well try a new OS.

As for Docker, I'm not sure as I haven't tried any apps for it. I basically just installed it and tried some stuff like watching YouTube and browsing LTT.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

29 minutes ago, elpiop said:

windows 10 has a built in feature to reset your pc, search 'reset this pc' in the start menu

i tried that and that’s how i got those errors

29 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

i wanted to try linux, but if i do then i don’t want windows on it at all, i might try mint or ubuntu this weekend 

21 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

My name is not connor and I do not need to reset your laptop. 

lol oops meant cannot, fixed it

20 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

god damn connor

damn connor dude, let’s hot glue his laptop shut ?

9 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i wanted to try linux, but if i do then i don’t want windows on it at all, i might try mint or ubuntu this weekend 

If you do Ubuntu, I wouldn't do either "plain" Ubuntu (with the Gnome DE) or Mint. I find the former to be slow and, IMO, fucking hideous and awful to look at and use, while the latter feels a bit...watered down, almost.

I mean, you do whatever you want, but I wouldn't go with either one of those.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

If you do Ubuntu, I wouldn't do either "plain" Ubuntu (with the Gnome DE) or Mint. I find the former to be slow and, IMO, fucking hideous and awful to look at and use, while the latter feels a bit...watered down, almost.

I mean, you do whatever you want, but I wouldn't go with either one of those.

what do you reccomend (i will only be doing productivity like software and game dev, but nothing heavy) (it’s my first linux distro btw)

and how do i completely wipe my drives? is there a software or something?

(i want it to wipe EVERYTHING from it, if it can keep windows, great! if not, RIP i’m moving to linux lmao)

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

what do you reccomend (i will only be doing productivity like software and game dev, but nothing heavy) (it’s my first linux distro btw)

and how do i completely wipe my drives? is there a software or something?

(i want it to wipe EVERYTHING from it, if it can keep windows, great! if not, RIP i’m moving to linux lmao)

As I said in my above posts, I would try either Bunsenlabs Linux for the most performance, MX Linux for just an excellent distro overall, ChromiumOS for performance (probably) and battery life (haven't tested this). I would especially recommend ChromiumOS if everything you do is either on the web or can be done with Android apps.

If you really want to go hardcore with wiping, maybe you could use a live GParted USB. If you do end up going with Linux, all the installers will have a tool to wipe all your drives.

As for Windows, as long as you don't wipe any Windows partitions, Grub will allow you to select either Linux or Windows on every boot, so there's nothing to worry about there.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

battery life

well my battery doesn’t work anyways (i keep it plugged in) so that doesn’t bother me

as for the rest, thanks :) 

Ubuntu Linux 18.10 is what i run on my laptop and i recommend the balls out of it.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Just now, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Ubuntu Linux 18.10 is what i run on my laptop and i recommend the balls out of it.

well i guess this weekend i’m gonna be trying out about 20 different operating systems ?

16 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's pretty good. It's nowhere near as good as an off-the-shelf Chromebook (at least with the one laptop I've tried, a C2D Macbook Air) as it still has some minor issues that other Linux distros have (again, I've only tested it on one machine) like some small trackpad issues and whatnot.

Overall, it's a very solid experience, and if your options are buying a Chromebook or installing ChromiumOS on an existing machine, you might as well try a new OS.

As for Docker, I'm not sure as I haven't tried any apps for it. I basically just installed it and tried some stuff like watching YouTube and browsing LTT.

Yeah, feel like you might have to compile it yourself, which would suck. and unfortunately, I use docker way too much to give it up. 
maybe i'll stick my spare SSD into one of my PCs and install it on there, just to see what's up

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...