Server Build List

Yatys 93

Looking for some final part recommendations, and some general advice on a new, much more toned down part list.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/p9CsNQ

I want this mainly for storage of ripped blu rays/camera and drone footage/backups from other PC's/Laptops as well as using it as a system to use media encoder on said blu ray rips to help reduce file sizes, hence why not just getting a big nas and calling it a day, nothing crazy. I might run a gamer server when I want it running, just like an in house one, so will be not running when someone in the house isn't on it.

some reasons behind parts, 2 SSDs for raid 1 OS backup sort of thing. Overdone PSU mainly as eventually this will have all 20 bays full so want to cover for that as well as I assume 20 drives spinning up at once can put a serious pull on the PSU? also doesn't hurt to have a nice PSU. The tiny GPU is just to have a video out while leaving the CPU alone for when it has long stints at 100% on media encoder, it's my very old one, so just gonna through it in there. Case and server rack are both from a local (uk) site so I don't have to pay stupid shipping, plus I am actually not far from their actual store so I can even go get it my self to not pay any shipping on a rack which I imagine it would be quite high :P

I need a raid card to use so advice on that would be great, thinking raid 6?

it is worth getting the server version on windows? not doing anything too techie so not sure I will use the extra features, and since nothing is proper server hardware in my list it should all be recognised and run fine right?

ECC or not? only reason its not on there was I misread the spec page on asus's site, but I imagine kingston value ECC is good enough for a small home storage box?

if there is anything people would change I am open to ideas.

Thanks peeps!

35 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

I need a raid card to use so advice on that would be great, thinking raid 6?

LSI 9260 or any similar generation/sub model to that or LSI 9361 which is the generation after that. Anything similar to that with the CacheVault upgrade module will do RAID 6 with good performance.

it is worth getting the server version on windows? not doing anything too techie so not sure I will use the extra features, and since nothing is proper server hardware in my list it should all be recognised and run fine right?

Unless you need something specifically in the server version feature set no.

ECC or not? only reason its not on there was I misread the spec page on asus's site, but I imagine kingston value ECC is good enough for a small home storage box?

No, memory errors are actually very uncommon and Unregistered ECC memory doesn't really help much anyway. The RAID card with power protected Flash Cache (CacheVault) is all the protection you need.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

LSI 9260 or any similar generation/sub model to that or LSI 9361 which is the generation after that. Anything similar to that with the CacheVault upgrade module will do RAID 6 with good performance.

No, memory errors are actually very uncommon and Unregistered ECC memory doesn't really help much anyway. The RAID card with power protected Flash Cache (CacheVault) is all the protection you need.

Sweet thank you!!

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

just to double check, this will be fine going all the way up to the full 20 drives? using the backplane in the case?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/MegaRAID-9260-8i-8-Port-6Gbps-512MB/dp/B00AENMZF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551386624&sr=8-1&keywords=LSI+9260

9 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

just to double check, this will be fine going all the way up to the full 20 drives? using the backplane in the case?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/MegaRAID-9260-8i-8-Port-6Gbps-512MB/dp/B00AENMZF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551386624&sr=8-1&keywords=LSI+9260

You also need the BBU/CV upgrade. Looking at the models of that generation it's probably better to go with the 9266 as it uses the newer CacheVault method.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/RAID-Controllers/Broadcom-6Gbps-MegaRAID-9266-8i-Controller/B007OTRF7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551387181&sr=8-1&keywords=Lsi+9266-8I

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LSI-LSICVM01-rechargeable-batteries-controller/dp/B007OWZ20A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551387375&sr=8-1&keywords=LSICVM01

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Awesome, thanks again!!