PC Underperforming

DirtyRift

To make it as simple as possible, I play Rust on a new pc I built in January, and I get 75 fps avg on potato settings, which I find odd because of my current rig's potential I thought it had. If somebody could point out faults in my choice of parts please comment below as I have only a small idea as to what is wrong. I play on 1080p and live in the U.S. Thank you.

Just now, Slottr said:

Single channel memory is choking your cpu.

I've been told that before and I should probably get split it with 2x 8gb sticks. Thanks for one final confirmation

Low settings taxes the CPU more because it has more free time to send commands to the GPU. Memory performance in this case will matter. If you up the settings, it will ease the burden of the CPU to the point where it doesn't matter if you're using single channel or dual channel:

On 2/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Low settings taxes the CPU more because it has more free time to send commands to the GPU. Memory performance in this case will matter. If you up the settings, it will ease the burden of the CPU to the point where it doesn't matter if you're using single channel or dual channel:

This is bit of a misnomer. The CPU will see the same workload regardless of game settings, unless the settings directly affects CPU performance (such as physics, AI, and draw distance). Setting higher graphics settings simply makes the GPU work harder, making it more likely to be the bottleneck rather than the CPU.

But otherwise yes. The lower the graphics settings, the more likely you are to hit the system's CPU, latency, and bandwidth limitations.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H