Rubber Dome Model M

thedangerine

So I'm purchasing a model keyboard from someone for the low low price of $15usd. Issue is its the rubber dome model (cringe I know) and was wondering if anyone here has used one and what they think about them. I mainly am purchasing it because I think its a cool piece of tech history and its dumb cheap even for the rubber dome model. Plus one day when I get an og buckling spring model m and lets say something broke I am assuming I may be able to swap something like the frame or maybe the keycaps. Either way just a cool piece of the ghost of keyboards past. Please let me know how you like it if you have used one in the past

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

4 minutes ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

So I'm purchasing a model keyboard from someone for the low low price of $15usd. Issue is its the rubber dome model (cringe I know) and was wondering if anyone here has used one and what they think about them. I mainly am purchasing it because I think its a cool piece of tech history and its dumb cheap even for the rubber dome model. Plus one day when I get an og buckling spring model m and lets say something broke I am assuming I may be able to swap something like the frame or maybe the keycaps. Either way just a cool piece of the ghost of keyboards past. Please let me know how you like it if you have used one in the past

I have seen a few rubber dome Ms, and there's not that much you can do with them imo, the domes are super snappy more snappy than bke heavies, and can be quite unpleasant to type on after a while. Key caps are also different from normal ms, iirc they're one piece dye sub pbt plunger caps, which are made pretty well but are incompatible with other model ms. 

They're good for rubber domes, but they aren't comparable to the buckling spring models. Although funnily enough IBM's buckling spring keyboards have domes under the springs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, b emoji said:

I have seen a few rubber dome Ms, and there's not that much you can do with them imo, the domes are super snappy more snappy than bke heavies, and can be quite unpleasant to type on after a while. Key caps are also different from normal ms, iirc they're one piece dye sub pbt plunger caps, which are made pretty well but are incompatible with other model ms. 

Dang sucks about the key caps. Likely wont use the keyboard on my main rig rather for the unraid storage server I have planned, Thanks for the info

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

They're good for rubber domes, but they aren't comparable to the buckling spring models. Although funnily enough IBM's buckling spring keyboards have domes under the springs.

WAIT WHAT? 
I don't think so. Some Model Ms use rubber domes like the ones OP is referring to. Buckling Spring Model Ms use MEMBRANES but not DOMES under the springs. What happens is that when the spring buckles it presses on a hammer which strikes on the membrane which registers the key. I don't know what kinda of loopy land you're in but Buckling Spring Ms do not use rubber domes under the springs, they use a strike hammer/foot that presses on a membrane. FYI Membrane =/= Rubber dome.  

11 minutes ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Dang sucks about the key caps. Likely wont use the keyboard on my main rig rather for the unraid storage server I have planned, Thanks for the info

Rubber dome Model Ms are actually reasonably rare, and for 15$ I don't think you really can go wrong. They're built real well, but too bad they're rubber domes. It's like having a Ferrari with 4 Cylinder from a yugo.

4 minutes ago, b emoji said:

WAIT WHAT? 
I don't think so. Some Model Ms use rubber domes like the ones OP is referring to. Buckling Spring Model Ms use MEMBRANES but not DOMES under the springs. What happens is that when the spring buckles it presses on a hammer which strikes on the membrane which registers the key. I don't know what kinda of loopy land you're in but Buckling Spring Ms do not use rubber domes under the springs, they use a strike hammer/foot that presses on a membrane. FYI Membrane =/= Rubber dome.  

Huh, so they aren't. I've been misinformed.

image.thumb.png.9459e28d7ec1615246aae449f317b5c4.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

13 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Huh, so they aren't. I've been misinformed.

image.thumb.png.9459e28d7ec1615246aae449f317b5c4.png

Rubber dome means that the switching action and switch feel comes from a rubber dome. Membrane means that the keyboard uses traces printed onto a sheet of plastic instead of an capacitive pcb.  Topre would a rubber dome, but not a membrane since it uses a capacitive pcb, and an IBM Model M is a membrane board, but not a rubber dome (Exception of the Rubber dome versions).