Ubuntu Server 18.10

Hey All,

First time posting here and pretty new in the tech community in general. I have basic knowledge and I'm schooling for IT Security, but haven't gotten past gen ed yet. Aside from this, I recently picked up a server for my home: a Dell R710 72gb Mem/2x X5690/6x 500gb 10k SAS drives in RAID 5. I installed Ubuntu Server 18.10 on it (didn't want to pay for a windows server license) and everything has been decently smooth, except for the networking side. So with the 4 ethernet ports, I just bonded them all under balanced-rr which maybe was not a good idea but I don't have much knowledge over bonding and didn't bother to look any info up on it. The issue comes from the bond seeming to not lease an IP automatically from the router, as everday (sometimes multiple times a day) I have to run the following command "sudo dhclient -v -4" which gets things going. Has anyone had an experience like this? Anyone have recommendations over the configuration? This is being used as a samba server/dedicated game server for a very small amount of people.

Thank you!

Ok, so ive attempted to so via netplan,  however this causes some sort of conflict as I can log in to my router and see the server at a different IP than the one set and the server cannot ping. 

ubuntu server is VERY basic with network configuration, basicly it does one attempt at DHCP on startup, and from there on out doesnt really bother.

as said before, the idea is you give it a static IP.

My lazy solution not bothering to read anything:

if you got something you need to run every x period of time, just make a cron job for it :D

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Hey all so figured it out, and will post later tomorrow to verify that its good. Had to use netplan because ubuntu server migrated to using it and i could not figure out how to switch back to ifupdown.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MigratingToNetplan#Rationale

Im new to this so learning as i go. I did manage to find a page that detailed setting up bonds with netplan and using a bridge for the bond. So far, this method worked. 

Thanks for all the replies!

1 minute ago, cash0989 said:

Hey all so figured it out, and will post later tomorrow to verify that its good. Had to use netplan because ubuntu server migrated to using it and i could not figure out how to switch back to ifupdown.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MigratingToNetplan#Rationale

Im new to this so learning as i go. I did manage to find a page that detailed setting up bonds with netplan and using a bridge for the bond. So far, this method worked. 

Thanks for all the replies!

The bond/bridge setup:

https://www.aptgetlife.co.uk/setting-up-a-bond-and-bridge-in-netplan-on-ubuntu-18-04/

34 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

My lazy solution not bothering to read anything:

if you got something you need to run every x period of time, just make a cron job for it :D

That is fair. I will say i went kind of lazy with it, though when i was looking up info on setting static IP, the methods provided didn't work so i ended up letting the server sit offline for a week and now i came here to ask. ?

So question because I either am not wording it correctly when searching or maybe its not an easy answer. Attached is my current /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml 

I noticed when doing an IP scan, since its bonded with 4 connections, the is utilizing 6 different IPs on the network (bridge,bond,4 ports). Do I need to set static IP's for each one or at the very least turn on dhcp for them? Is there a way to make it so the server is seen as only one IP? Capture.thumb.PNG.a0de9a3f93834daa0842d7ea4f42b06e.PNG

18 minutes ago, cash0989 said:

So question because I either am not wording it correctly when searching or maybe its not an easy answer. Attached is my current /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml 

I noticed when doing an IP scan, since its bonded with 4 connections, the is utilizing 6 different IPs on the network (bridge,bond,4 ports). Do I need to set static IP's for each one or at the very least turn on dhcp for them? Is there a way to make it so the server is seen as only one IP?

The guide I linked to sets everything to one IP.  I have not used netplan, and honestly it looks like netplan is doing a whole host of unnecessary BS.

A fairly thorough explanation of the bonding process in linux, the options available, etc: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/bonding

Netplan does look like a good option though from what I can see. I always enjoy things being specified in YAMLs. Speaking of which, if you want a more robust and holistic state management system for your server, consider running serverless puppet or something like that. It can provide a lot of abstraction to you, and can configure basically anything. Plus defining things as code always makes me smile. (for example, https://forge.puppet.com/puppet/network this module would let you configure the bonding you need)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Try giving the server a static IP, that should help.