Laptop memory upgrade

Hello.

I recently bought a budget gaming laptop, the Lenovo Y530 with an i7 8750H, GTX 1050 4GB, 8GB Ram clocked at 2666Mhz and a 256GB ssd. I am now looking to upgrade to 16GB of memory, install an ssd around 500GB for my games, movies, videos, photos, backups etc and maybe change the thermal paste. The questions I want to ask are these :

1) Will I lose my warranty if I open the laptop? What I mean by opening the laptop is upgrading the memory, installing an ssd and changing the thermal paste. (from what I have read and seen Lenovo usually lets its customers modify their systems up to a degree, but I asked from where i bought the laptop if i am allowed to modify it and they said that if i remove 1 screw my warranty is gone)
2) The ram model is this "HMA81GS6CJR8N-VK" . If I put another module of 8GB(I would prefer 16 but I don't know if it will have any compatibility problems) with the same frequency and cas latency but different from the one in there (e.g. a corsair one or hyperx) will I have any problems? Is there a risk? Is this random?
3)
I have found this ssd on a discount. Any comments or suggestions? " SSD PATRIOT PBU480GS25SSDR BURST 480GB 2.5'' SATA 3 "

Thank you in advance.

upgrading the ram shouldn't break the warranty but replacing thermal paste usually requires a tear down,so idk about that

1 minute ago, just that pc guy said:

upgrading the ram shouldn't break the warranty but replacing thermal paste usually requires a tear down,so idk about that

That's not necessarily correct. Depends on the laptop. If it has a modular RAM compartment, it shouldn't break the warranty. However, if you need to take the whole back off, there's usually screws under "warranty void" stickers. There was recently some legislation regarding whether or not those "warranty void stickers" legally void warranty, but I haven't researched that yet. I'd look into it. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

You'd have to look up right to repair laws where you live. They can't necessarily tell if you've opened it unless they covered a screw with a sticker) but changing hardware they would obviously be able to tell. But you should try to get identical memory because mixing ram can cause issues. Here's a disassembly video https://youtu.be/YoHfPc9fOlI

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

58 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

That's not necessarily correct. Depends on the laptop. If it has a modular RAM compartment, it shouldn't break the warranty. However, if you need to take the whole back off, there's usually screws under "warranty void" stickers. There was recently some legislation regarding whether or not those "warranty void stickers" legally void warranty, but I haven't researched that yet. I'd look into it. 

ah, im used to using my hp pavilion m6, that has a nifty little latch that opens up to reveal the wifi adapter, ram cards, and hdd.

2 hours ago, just that pc guy said:

ah, im used to using my hp pavilion m6, that has a nifty little latch that opens up to reveal the wifi adapter, ram cards, and hdd.

Yep, my laptop has that too. I really wish we could go back to the era where even laptop CPUs were upgradable.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Thank you all for answering. I leave in EU and I don't see any stickers over any screws or something. So I will surely add a SSD(I already have a SSD on the M.2 slot so it will be a SATA III one) as I need more space and add more ram. About repasting it I don't have temperature problems as I have undervolted it but from what I have seen they don't put any good quality thermal paste on this laptop so I would like it to be as good as possible. If it doesn't break the warranty i will probably use some BeQuiet! or Coolermaster since I already have some from my previous pc builds coolers. Will they be better or worse? Should I get some Arctic Silver 5, MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly(non conductive)?

This very much depends on where you live. I am an attorney in South Africa and although we do not have any legislation regarding right to repair, there is a mandatory 6 month warranty period on all goods sold to consumers. This is subject to reasonable limitations by retailers and I would imagine that not allowing you to open up and tamper with a product would be reasonable.

Check if the retailer you bought it from has a warranty information document available, and if not, check with Lenovo's support centre for your region as there may be an extended warranty with Lenovo directly.

I would not let the warranty issues stop me from replacing a memory module or hard drive, however, but that is just me. You always run the risk with warranties as manufacturers / retailers like to find creative ways out of warranties.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the heatsink and thermal paste though, I would expect a warranty to be gone after that. There's just too much that can go wrong. Plugging in a memory module or hard drive is one thing, but creating the risk that your CPU will overheat is another story entirely.

3 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Should I get some Arctic Silver 5, MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly(non conductive)?

As long as you're using a thermal paste designed for use in computers you'll be fine, the difference between different pastes is pretty small at the end of the day. Just don't use liquid metal lol

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 2/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, Mondochiwan said:

This very much depends on where you live. I am an attorney in South Africa and although we do not have any legislation regarding right to repair, there is a mandatory 6 month warranty period on all goods sold to consumers. This is subject to reasonable limitations by retailers and I would imagine that not allowing you to open up and tamper with a product would be reasonable.

Check if the retailer you bought it from has a warranty information document available, and if not, check with Lenovo's support centre for your region as there may be an extended warranty with Lenovo directly.

I would not let the warranty issues stop me from replacing a memory module or hard drive, however, but that is just me. You always run the risk with warranties as manufacturers / retailers like to find creative ways out of warranties.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the heatsink and thermal paste though, I would expect a warranty to be gone after that. There's just too much that can go wrong. Plugging in a memory module or hard drive is one thing, but creating the risk that your CPU will overheat is another story entirely.

Thank you for replying. Ok then, I will probably add some ram and the ssd. I guess that thermal paste can wait since laptop isn't overheating, thermal throttling or something.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:07 PM, Cyracus said:

As long as you're using a thermal paste designed for use in computers you'll be fine, the difference between different pastes is pretty small at the end of the day. Just don't use liquid metal lol

Hmm ok. Going with the cheaper one then should be the choice. I will stay away from liquid metal xD.