Aid with packet tracer

mitchpman13

Not sure if this would be the proper thread, but I'm sure the mods will know. So I have a friend who is starting their computer science degree and are currently taking CCNA. Does anyone know any good sites/pages/etc for some useful info to help study with??

Cisco has their own beginner course that your friend can use if they don't know how to use packet tracer.

https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer/introduction-packet-tracer

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Yeah Cisco's NetAcad or NetAcademy is useful, there is a beginner course linked with packet tracer software. My college offers the NetAcad service free along with networking studies, the college pays for it for their students so I would see if you're friend can get a complimentary or at least cheaper student account for NetAcad. Sites like Udemy and Lynda might have some packet tracer courses too.

13 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Are you looking for help with packet tracer or just want a study guide for the CCNA?

I guess more for the packet tracer, possibly just something that's helpful and free to help her out. They just started subnetting and such, she's starting to get the hang of it, but the class is so bland its just monkey see, monkey do, not much information to grab onto.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah Cisco's NetAcad or NetAcademy is useful

I asked her and she said they use it in class and it doesn't seem to be helping too much.

1 hour ago, mitchpman13 said:

I asked her and she said they use it in class and it doesn't seem to be helping too much.

I'm sorry to hear that, so far it's been alright for me but still very early days of our class.Maybe she could look at a Udemy course?

PACKETTRACER.jpg.fe638d4df40453c3b9d90b9d6f4e9419.jpg

There's always YouTube as well, maybe there are some videos on their? 

Since he is learning CCNA, he should have credentials to http://netacad.com/

And here there is all the documentation he need, the download to packet tracer, and while following the course you are being told on how to use it

NetAcad is pretty good in my experience.

After you've read the course try the practical exercises at the end of sections. There are .pka files which make you practice what you just learned.

If you're stuck in an exercise don't hesitate to re-read the appropriate part of the course and check the internet, especially youtube. There are all the solutions on there. The try to redo them on your own. It takes time and it's not easy but it's straightforward.