Uneven CPU Temps ?

Guest Generallee

Hi guys,

I was just wondering about my temperatures, I have a Core i5 3.2Ghz OC'ed to 3.8Ghz, Very stable OC no BSOD or such things.

Using Real Temp, Core Temp & HWmonitor i see that the 2 first cores at idle are at 24°C, the 3rd core is at 16°C and the 4th core is at 34°C 

I don't know if it's normal to have such gaps between core temperatures, i think i didn't apply the thermal paste well  :unsure:

Is it normal ?

Also on full load, temps have the same gap, the maximum for the 4th core is 41°C under 100% load, I use a Cooler Master Seidon 120v Water Cooling Kit

It's fairly normal to have varying temps under idle and load, but not by that much at idle.

Most of the time having one core that runs hot indicates a bad mount on the cooler, Try taking it off, redoing your thermal paste and remounting it :)

I dont get how i have hyperthreading and it shows temps of the third and fourth core, then again i dont understand a lot about hyperthreading.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's fairly normal to have varying temps under idle and load, but not by that much at idle.

Most of the time having one core that runs hot indicates a bad mount on the cooler, Try taking it off, redoing your thermal paste and remounting it :)

Do this, then we can move on to something else - if need be.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

I dont get how i have hyperthreading and it shows temps of the third and fourth core, then again i dont understand a lot about hyperthreading.

Hyperthreading is 2 front ends of the CPU feeding one physical core, so it could be possible that the temp probes are in the seperate front ends? It's something I've always wondered about too when doing i7 rigs :)

I have the same issue, where my 1st, 2nd and 4th core all have amazing thermals but get held back by the third core which is 5-7 degrees hotter. My chip is still very good but it could be top 0.5% if not for that third core. (And it's not the cooler mount, have had it in and out so many times now that I've eliminated that possibility.)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Hyperthreading is 2 front ends of the CPU feeding one physical core, so it could be possible that the temp probes are in the seperate front ends? It's something I've always wondered about too when doing i7 rigs :)

Yes i know that but i thought that i must have been wrong due to the temps being different. Eg right now core 0,1 are both at 39oc and 2,3 are at 35oc.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yes i know that but i thought that i must have been wrong due to the temps being different. Eg right now core 0,1 are both at 39oc and 2,3 are at 35oc.

I'm pretty sure core 0,1/2,3/4,5 and then 6,7 are each module, so it could also be possible that each core shows 2 temps because hyperthreading appears to the OS as 2 cores, because they are the same core the OS see's 2 cores running at the same temp?

I'm pretty sure core 0,1/2,3/4,5 and then 6,7 are each module, so it could also be possible that each core shows 2 temps because hyperthreading appears to the OS as 2 cores, because they are the same core the OS see's 2 cores running at the same temp?

core 0,1 are physical and 2,3 are logical they dont always have the same temp, in idle they are grouped to together a lot

Listen if you care.

core 0,1 are physical and 2,3 are logical they dont always have the same temp, in idle they are grouped to together a lot

That's weird, I've never noticed that before.

But I do use Aida for my temp testing and that only shows the 4 cores :/

That's weird, I've never noticed that before.

But I do use Aida for my temp testing and that only shows the 4 cores :/

I use all cpu meter, ive used it since 2010 i like all the shit that it tells you, it tells you everything and you can set the refresh rate to like 0.01seconds if you wanted it.

Listen if you care.

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll unmount my cooler and re-apply the thermal paste more uniformly

EDIT : When i open HWmonitor, the +12v rail is at 8.272v Min Max & Avg Is it normal ? Shouldn't that be varying around 12v ?