Jump to content

HDD Issue please help

My 1tb external hdd does not show up in windows but does in chkdisk thing in cmd after typing in listdisk. so i followed a guide to get it fixed but sadly my laptop died during the format process it does show that theres data there in recovery software. is that data really there or should i give up. its over 900GB or should i spend 100s of dollars on recovery rather or use recovery software to try get it back myself. as far as i can hear the drive is not clicking or jumping around the platters inside. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Charlie23 said:

My 1tb external hdd does not show up in windows but does in chkdisk thing in cmd after typing in listdisk. so i followed a guide to get it fixed but sadly my laptop died during the format process it does show that theres data there in recovery software. is that data really there or should i give up. its over 900GB or should i spend 100s of dollars on recovery rather or use recovery software to try get it back myself. as far as i can hear the drive is not clicking or jumping around the platters inside. 

 

Why were you formatting the drive when you had data on it?

 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to be honest i did not know what it was doing just followed the instructions and it died during that procedure. Now i can find it in listdisk but after that nothing, But if i go to aomei partition manegment it says there is still data so i stopped fiddling  with stuff i clearly don't know and now want to know if i have fowled up big time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Charlie23

 

Under the CMD, see in listdisk if it's pulling a letter. sometimes you have to assign it a letter to it before it will hshow up!

 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-assign-permanent-drive-letter-windows-10

PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

 

Build Log found here:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay will check that but besides that do you think the data is really still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charlie23 said:

Okay will check that but besides that do you think the data is really still there.

You screwed up big time.

Yes, the data is there, provided you stop fiddling with the drive.

You'll need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing, and do a data recovery run on it, to get all the data back.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, fiddling has stopped. I will upload a image from aomei (tomorrow) so you can see what i see. but yeah taking it in seems to be the only option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charlie23 said:

yes, fiddling has stopped. I will upload a image from aomei (tomorrow) so you can see what i see. but yeah taking it in seems to be the only option.

What kind of data is on the drive?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What kind of data is on the drive?

Everything, is a good answer, I have several series (Top Gear, Star trek, family guy, american dad and so on) a vast movie collection. thats the biggest stuff but also my game library (games i have but did not install at the time because my laptop only has 500GB) my music backup (2500+ songs) my picture library (family photos and such). So its quite a lot. Now i know some might say how does so much fit on there the movies and series are not in 4k and they have been compressed to 720P and the most the series is the same or lower quality. But anyways the short answer is a lot which i cannot download again (as it is not online anymore) and a lot i can't get again ( such as my holiday pics and cat photos,) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Charlie23 said:

Everything, is a good answer, I have several series (Top Gear, Star trek, family guy, american dad and so on) a vast movie collection. thats the biggest stuff but also my game library (games i have but did not install at the time because my laptop only has 500GB) my music backup (2500+ songs) my picture library (family photos and such). So its quite a lot. Now i know some might say how does so much fit on there the movies and series are not in 4k and they have been compressed to 720P and the most the series is the same or lower quality. But anyways the short answer is a lot which i cannot download again (as it is not online anymore) and a lot i can't get again ( such as my holiday pics and cat photos,) 

I hear you, I have several NAS devices about the same size with the same kinds of things.

Data recovery (I used to do it professionally) is expensive, so be prepared for a hefty bill. 

I'd do it for free, as a favour from one LTT member to another, but I live clear across the world, and I cannot guarantee it wouldn't get damaged in shipping. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I hear you, I have several NAS devices about the same size with the same kinds of things.

Data recovery (I used to do it professionally) is expensive, so be prepared for a hefty bill. 

I'd do it for free, as a favour from one LTT member to another, but I live clear across the world, and I cannot guarantee it wouldn't get damaged in shipping. 

Offer much appreciated, and would jump at the chance haha, but as you said shipping damage can not be avoided. And the Sixth Circle is a touch to far. Looks like data recovery for me. 

 

Have been researching more and EaseUS data recovery software says it could help. Worth a try??

I have opened it and it says there is 931GB worth of data there. So a deep scan must be done. Any idea how long that will be as i can not leave the laptop alone for long must do it while i sleep or am at work if it is going to be 6 or 10 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Charlie23 said:

Offer much appreciated, and would jump at the chance haha, but as you said shipping damage can not be avoided. And the Sixth Circle is a touch to far. Looks like data recovery for me. 

 

Have been researching more and EaseUS data recovery software says it could help. Worth a try??

I have opened it and it says there is 931GB worth of data there. So a deep scan must be done. Any idea how long that will be as i can not leave the laptop alone for long must do it while i sleep or am at work if it is going to be 6 or 10 hours.

The data recovery software I have used when I absolutely positively have to get the data back (and the hardware is not damaged) is ZAR. Zero Assumption Recovery. 

Hands down, the *best* software I have ever used for this purpose.

But it's slow, like days on end kind of slow. so there's that....

 

But it will get your data back...so long as you have a place to put it...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The data recovery software I have used when I absolutely positively have to get the data back (and the hardware is not damaged) is ZAR. Zero Assumption Recovery. 

Hands down, the *best* software I have ever used for this purpose.

But it's slow, like days on end kind of slow. so there's that....

 

But it will get your data back...so long as you have a place to put it...

Yes i just remembered i need a seperate drive. Damn forgot that.  But i am sure just scanning the drive with Easeus will at least let me know if somethings there and worth going to get data recovery. 

 

And when i ever do get it back I should follow linus's advice and have a backup for my backup. look at the trouble it has caused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charlie23 said:

Yes i just remembered i need a seperate drive. Damn forgot that.  But i am sure just scanning the drive with Easeus will at least let me know if somethings there and worth going to get data recovery. 

 

And when i ever do get it back I should follow linus's advice and have a backup for my backup. look at the trouble it has caused.

I would not scan the drive until you are ready to recover. It's hard on the drive and if anything has been damaged from the prior events, you can greately reduce your chance to getting your data back...

Only do this when you are ready to start the actual recovery process....

 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I would not scan the drive until you are ready to recover. It's hard on the drive and if anything has been damaged from the prior events, you can greately reduce your chance to getting your data back...

Only do this when you are ready to start the actual recovery process....

 

Okay advice taken and will leave it alone until I get another drive. and maybe another to back up the back up.

Thanks for the help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Charlie23 said:

Okay advice taken and will leave it alone until I get another drive. and maybe another to back up the back up.

Thanks for the help.

Any time friend, let me know if you need further help/advice. We are here for you!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Any time friend, let me know if you need further help/advice. We are here for you!

yes Linus spoke a lot about how the forum is so helpfull, and it is sooo true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×