New Build Advice

Blazer0x

Building 2 new PCs to replace both mine and my wife's aging gaming machines. It's been an embarrassingly long time since I have built a system, so I'm looking for any advice on my build list, for anything that is obviously mismatched or anything I could swap out for cost savings.

• We both work from home, and are gaming and general internet geeks. We spend a LOT of time using our PCs for both work and gaming (games like Overwatch,Battlefield, etc). We are seriously on our machines for most of our waking hours, so having our new PCs be wonderfully fast and at least semi-futureproof is very important to us.
  • I want this new build to have very good GPU performance that hopefully will not have to be upgraded for several years, so I opted for an RTX 2080
  • We are both already spoiled by SSD primary drives, so I picked an m.2 drive which should meet and exceed our current loading times etc. I already have a couple of 4TB sata drives to use as secondary storage.
  • I picked a case that has good cooling, as her PC will be in a cabinet. She usually has the front door open, but it still doesn't have as much airflow as being on an open desk. I also require having 4 front-panel USB ports, which the CM case I chose has.

I do have a question about the motherboard I picked. I saw a warning that the m.2 drive conflicts with and disables 1 of the sata ports. Losing a port isn't a big deal since I plan on having at most a 4TB secondary drive and maybe migrate my DVDwriter over, but what I am wondering is, will the NVMe performance be impacted at all?

Here's my first pass at a build. Bear in mind that I will be buying 2x of all these parts and building 2 identical systems. This is the main and only reason that I am trying to be a bit conservative on cost.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

To answer your question, no it shouldn't. It likely just shares an IO lane with one of the SATA controllers or that specific port. Looking at the board specs, it states that it supports PCIe x 4 NVME M.2 SSDs, so you should be all set to get max performance from the M.2 drive.

cheapest retro gaming  total upgradeability:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BlitzSaver/saved/qXvJ8d

or my wet dream pc build from the floor up: http://a.co/g5yQeas

Cheap is cool, but not really looking for a <$500 PC that isn't up to doing all the things I need to do (my work stuff is already straining with the RAM it has, I wouldn't want to drop down to 8GB)  :) 

-Unless your workstation requires 8 cores the 9600k is fine for gaming.

-Windale 6 is also fine for the 9600k and you probably won't see an increase in clockspeed with a beefier cooler like the NH-D15, LGM RT, etc. due to voltage curve. 

-The Gaming X actually has better VRMs than the MPG Pro Carbon while also being cheaper, Gigabyte really stepped up their game for z390. 

-Cheaper RAM, nothing much to say here except Intel has the same performance on 2666mhz as it does on 3200mhz RAM because it's not very bandwidth constrained unlike Ryzen. 

-If you're not doing heavy file transfer every day there's no point to NVMe. It has the same boot up time as regular SATA. 

-G3 tends to be loud under load and also has protections set too high as is common with semi-passive units. Plus, the RMx has better build quality. You don't need more than 550W for a single-GPU system.

Thanks for the tips. I thought too that a 750w PSU was a bit overkill, I guess I was just hoping that it would also have higher quality components than a cheaper one. I have had a PSU violently explode before (A couple of caps blew simultaneously), and it's not something I want to experience again, LOL

16 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:
-there's no point to NVMe. It has the same boot up time as regular SATA. 

I've never used an NVMe drive before, but I've heard all the hype of them being up to "7 times faster" than SATA?  I'm less worried about boot times as sometimes I go for a couple of weeks without rebooting, but I would like all things to load quickly, including game levels and stupidly large datasets for work stuff.

Why do you prefer the Zotac RTX 2080? I initially picked the Gigabyte one because I liked that it had more cooling (3 fans), but I see the Zotac does as well, although costs a bit more.

Thanks again for your advice.