A noob needs some help

Ts2001

Hi y'all,

So I'm really considering buying some dt990 250ohms. And I was searching for a amp online and I came across with really high power outputs:

Output power: 90mw/600ohm 180mw/300ohm 450mw/100ohm 610mw/62ohm 910mw/32ohm 1000mw/16ohm
i was wondering if these high numbers would damage my headphones. I included my digizoid power calculations down below

Screenshot_20190212-121321.png

Just because the amp can push that much power doesn't mean it will push that much power. Even a 60W speaker amp would be fine for headphones as long as you kept the output super super low. That being said, if you turn it up too far it could risk blowing out the headphones.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Just because the amp can push that much power doesn't mean it will push that much power. Even a 60W speaker amp would be fine for headphones as long as you kept the output super super low. That being said, if you turn it up too far it could risk blowing out the headphones.

So I should be ok as long I keep the output low.

Just now, Ts2001 said:

So I should be ok as long I keep the output low.

A dedicated headphone amp is unlikely to be able to push enough power to blow up headphones. You'll be fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

A dedicated headphone amp is unlikely to be able to push enough power to blow up headphones. You'll be fine.

Alright, thanks for the help!

Don’t buy 990s. They are not good the treble is insanely painful. Get the DT880 they are way better.

43 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Don’t buy 990s. They are not good the treble is insanely painful. Get the DT880 they are way better.

Audio is a individual thing. Some like the DT-990, some like the DT-880. 

You could buy both, hear both and decide after that. But if you don't want to mess around, just buy the DT-990. You'll be fine. 

If you stumble across the so called "Beyer-Peak", just fiddle around with an EQ like Equalizer APO and adjust them to your likeness.

1 minute ago, ToflixGamer said:

Audio is a individual thing. Some like the DT-990, some like the DT-880. 

You could buy both, hear both and decide after that. But if you don't want to mess around, just buy the DT-990. You'll be fine. 

If you stumble across the so called "Beyer-Peak", just fiddle around with an EQ like Equalizer APO and adjust them to your likeness.

Why would you do that though? Just get the 880 and you don’t have to worry. The 990 is not a better headphone in any way over the 880, just different tuning.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Why would you do that though? Just get the 880 and you don’t have to worry. The 990 is not a better headphone in any way over the 880, just different tuning.

And when he doesn't like the DT-880 because of their sound? 

Audio is a subjective thing, as I said. Just because YOU like the sound of the 880 more than the 990, any other listener with his individual hearing (everybody hears different, because of his age, sex, and many more things) doesn't mean that everyone likes them more too. 

3 hours ago, ToflixGamer said:

And when he doesn't like the DT-880 because of their sound? 

Audio is a subjective thing, as I said. Just because YOU like the sound of the 880 more than the 990, any other listener with his individual hearing (everybody hears different, because of his age, sex, and many more things) doesn't mean that everyone likes them more too. 

Yeah but the 990 treble is insane. It’s out of the real of being subjective. That’s not an ok amount of treble.

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

“Audio is subjective” is such a BS term. That’s only an excuse people with no idea use to justify crappy things.

audio is subjective to a point (ie liking more mid range in music or more bass or more treble) but some of it isnt

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)