Breath new life into a old system? or build a new one (threadripper or ryzen 3000)

ultimatums

HI all, I'm here in the US and considering at doing a new build

I am looking at either the 1900x or 1920x possible 1950x at this time. though I am considering the new zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) cpu's

I am looking for maximizing PCI lanes, and performance, while minimizing costs

I will be using this system for a mix of productivity (mainly multi-threaded code testing in languages such as go) so both high clocks and multi-core & threads would be nice, as well as the ability to use the GPU's for machine learning and extra computation when doing work. with a side of gaming, so this will probably will end up being a dual boot / or possible a VM if the impact is low enough on gaming performance (windows being the VM in that case) 

I am looking for a system that can be upgraded over the next year or so,

long run, I am looking at Dual GPU's, a separate raid card, and several drives / (SSD's / M.2 ) preferably in raid 0 or 10

So, in short, I am looking for a minimum viable system that I can expand as I have extra resources and cash. 

looking at using either case a H500p mesh (white) or P500s (white) but open to options with good air cooling

I currently have a PSU 750w & dual 760s 4gb, that short term I could reuse short term if need be.

currently, have a 3440x1440 LG 34UC80-B 34-Inch + accessories including 5.1 audio

I could swing around 1100ish USD starting out currently towards this. 

and long run around 3-4k 

so the system I currently have is an old x58 system that is showing its age, i7 980x (6 core) 3.33ghz, 24gb of ddr3 ram, raid 0 7200 rpm, 512 GB SSD, dual 760's and 750w psu, inside a good old haf x case, and tends to run hot trying to drive this setup. 

though I wouldn't be opposed to breathing new life into this system I am worried about compatibility with newer hardware and the PCI 2.0 bottlenecks

long run I will probably turn this old system into a server to host games to play with friends, due to having 1gb internet currently. 

any thoughts on this would be nice,

should I breath new life into my current system if so what? and look at getting Rryzen 3000 in summer?

should I go for the thread ripper with a minimum viable build I can expand

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188059  (old Motherboard)

Edit---

can anyone confirm the compatibility of the x58 4way motherboard with a i7 980x and 2080?

When Ryzen 3000 drops they'll have no choice but to drop prices on TR for everything with the same core count, so that's basically gonna be 2550 and under. Then you'll have a good chance to grab a TR motherboard and CPU for a great bargain price and have all the PCIe lanes you could want.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

When Ryzen 3000 drops they'll have no choice but to drop prices on TR for everything with the same core count, so that's basically gonna be 2550 and under. Then you'll have a good chance to grab a TR motherboard and CPU for a great bargain price and have all the PCIe lanes you could want.

fair enough, if that is the case, what can I do to help reduce head problems in my current system? I have re-pasted the GPU's etc but often get 80-90c and 45-60ish frames depending on the game without AA but on ultra

Just now, ultimatums said:

fair enough, if that is the case, what can I do to help reduce head problems in my current system? I have re-pasted the GPU's etc but often get 80-90c and 45-60ish frames depending on the game without AA but on ultra

For now, you could sell your current cards and get the one you plan on upgrading to. If you are dead set on dual GPU then buying the first of two is a good idea, like a 980 if that's what you had in mind. No doubt it's congested in your case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

For now, you could sell your current cards and get the one you plan on upgrading to. If you are dead set on dual GPU then buying the first of two is a good idea, like a 980 if that's what you had in mind. No doubt it's congested in your case.

well if I get lest say a Radeon 7 or 2080, will that be compatible with x58 motherboard running PCI 2.0 (over 9 years old)... also its hard to get new 900 or 1000 gpu  overall unless I want a 1060

4 minutes ago, ultimatums said:

well if I get lest say a Radeon 7 or 2080, will that be compatible with x58 motherboard running PCI 2.0

Yes that would work. It would introduce a CPU bottleneck obviously but a temporary bottleneck is nothing to worry about. 

5 minutes ago, ultimatums said:

its hard to get new 900 or 1000 gpu

Well the used market is highly recommended for these sorts of things obviously.

Primary PC:

any other thoughts on this topic? or knowledge of compatibility of a 2080 & x58 motherboard?