Dorm throttles internet

Asreal

Alright. Just moved into this college dorm a few weeks ago and I have come to the conclusion that they are definitely throttling the internet. 

Specifically around 3pm and 12am the internet cuts to out a maximum of 100Kbps usually from 1 to 4 hours. 

I'd say this pretty much happens everyday. 

So my question. 

With throttling illegal for ISPs, is there anything I could do about this? Or do I just have to hunker down and deal with it?

P.S. I didn't really know what section to post this, so feel free to let me know if should post this somewhere else. 

yes it's illegal for ISPs, but it's not illegal for your dorm (unless they are an ISP and you are a paying customer)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well their house their rules I suppose. No harm in asking them about the internet, maybe it’s old infrastucture and those are peak times.

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well their house their rules I suppose. No harm in asking them about the internet, maybe it’s old infrastucture and those are peak times.

That's the first thing I was thinking too.

You can't assume that you are deliberately being throttled just because your network gets slower at certain times a day. It might just be that you are sharing bandwidth with other people, and those happen to be more active at those times.