I want to help my brother

ForLocks

Okay so this Christmas my brother helped me build my first PC. I want to do something for him. He is a coder but only has a 1080p monitor. I would love to get him a 4k monitor for his Birthday. Any ideas?

If you're trying to keep price low, and refresh rate doesn't matter, I'd get this one from Amazon. No bells or whistles, but the price is as good as it gets for a 4k display. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I love my LG 27UD58-B, it was the cheapest name brand 4k monitor I could find at the time I bought it. It has freesync and the brightness is fairly good (not saying it couldn't be better but I have no real complaints), good color, lots of settings if you want to do video/picture editing.

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with a non-name-brand monitor. The cheaper ones use reject panels from LG and Samsung, they almost always have dead pixels and unlike LG and Samsung, they won't exchange your monitor unless you have a massive amount of dead pixels.

I just cut out the middleman personally, and only recommend LG, Samsung, and Sony since they produce like 99% of LCD panels for displays. ASUS, Acer, etc probably use panels from them but seems easier to me to just buy one from the brands that actually make the panels. First quality.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

11 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

If you're trying to keep price low, and refresh rate doesn't matter, I'd get this one from Amazon. No bells or whistles, but the price is as good as it gets for a 4k display. 

ASUS is absolutely horrible about warranties across all of their products, if that matters to OP. I personally place significant value on a company that has good warranty service.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

-= Topics Merged =-

-= Thread Cleaned =-

-= Moved to Displays =-

20 minutes ago, ForLocks said:

This Christmas my brother helped me build my first PC. He is a coder but only has a 1080p monitor. Would love to get him a 4k one. Any ideas?

I need to ask, if all he does is code wouldn't a 1440p be a better option? a 1080p is still pretty decent for coding as well. 

Now if he was to game or do page design as well then I can see the benefit of an increased resolution, unless of course he uses a 27inch monitor then I can see an increase so pixels arent so obvious/distracting.

Just sayin, nice gesture though. I dont mean to sound negative if I do.

6 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

ASUS is absolutely horrible about warranties across all of their products, if that matters to OP. I personally place significant value on a company that has good warranty service.

never had an issue with Asus warranty service always quick and timely. They have been my go to for many devices and monitors.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER