Help - My two fans plugged into my Kraken X52 are running max speed

I just built my first PC and when I turned it on it was super loud. I have a NZXT Kraken  X52 with the radiator mounted to the front of a 460x RGB case. I’ve used the cases inbuilt fans to cool it. Only the top two cover the radiator so I plugged them into the cooler power cables that came with it, but I plugged the bottom fan into the motherboard like normal and that one spins slower. Why would my cooler be making my fans spin at max? 

Heres a video for noise sample. (Turn volume up )https://youtu.be/E-Mtvyn8zJA

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Are the fans spinning at max speed 3 pin fans by any chance?

Both the fans plugged into cooler and motherboard are 3 pin connectors.

I have the X52 too As well, although I used the fans that can’t with the cooler.

I use the CAM software to adjust fan curves. I run mine on silent profile. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

30 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

Both the fans plugged into cooler and motherboard are 3 pin connectors.

The Kraken (and most other AIO series) have PWM regulated headers and cannot voltage control 3-pin headered fans. In this case, either plug them into the motherboard, or get some 4 pin headers are the only real solution. Alternatively get a PWM controlled voltage fan hub.

PWM control involves running a constant 12 V while having a PWM signal on the 4th pin. For 3 pin fans that don't receive this PWM signal, it means that they run at constant 12 V, i.e. full speed.

19 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The Kraken (and most other AIO series) have PWM regulated headers and cannot voltage control 3-pin headered fans. In this case, either plug them into the motherboard, or get some 4 pin headers are the only real solution. Alternatively get a PWM controlled voltage fan hub.

PWM control involves running a constant 12 V while having a PWM signal on the 4th pin. For 3 pin fans that don't receive this PWM signal, it means that they run at constant 12 V, i.e. full speed.

If I plug the fans screwed to the radiator into the motherboard will it still cool the cpu properly? As in speed up or slow down depending on the heat etc? Or would I have to manually adjust them depending on usage? And would the cpu still function if it has no fans at all plugged into its own power cables? 

5 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

If I plug the fans screwed to the radiator into the motherboard will it still cool the cpu properly? As in speed up or slow down depending on the heat etc? Or would I have to manually adjust them depending on usage? And would the cpu still function if it has no fans at all plugged into its own power cables? 

Yes, it will be fine. The CPU cooler will work without any fans plugged into the headers coming off the pump block. Fans plugged in to the motherboard will usually default to react to CPU temperatures and so will scale with load. There are settings in the BIOS to tweak exactly how fast at what temperture the CPU is.

The only downside is that with liquid cooling you really want the fans to react to the liquid temperature, so you will lose that functionality, but its better than fans at max speed.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Yes, it will be fine. The CPU cooler will work without any fans plugged into the headers coming off the pump block. Fans plugged in to the motherboard will usually default to react to CPU temperatures and so will scale with load. There are settings in the BIOS to tweak exactly how fast at what temperture the CPU is.

The only downside is that with liquid cooling you really want the fans to react to the liquid temperature, so you will lose that functionality, but its better than fans at max speed.

My motherboard fan plugs are 4 pin also, but does that not matter on the motherboard?

2 minutes ago, OneTwoMark said:

My motherboard fan plugs are 4 pin also, but does that not matter on the motherboard? Also Can I plug it into any of the 3 pins, as opposed to 3 on the left or 3 on the right. 

Motherboards can normally detect a 3 pin fan and automatically switch to DC control. There should be a plastic piece that prevents you from plugging it in incorrectly (there is a right way)

56 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Motherboards can normally detect a 3 pin fan and automatically switch to DC control. There should be a plastic piece that prevents you from plugging it in incorrectly (there is a right way)

Thanks for help, they seem a bit quieter now. Do you know what speed they default at as I’d like to make them even quieter when I get computer to boot.

Now I just need to get display to work, a light on my motherboard is on indicating that either my cpu, ram, GPU or boot drive is not detected or fail. I have my USB stuck in with windows on so I assume it’s one of the others, although I checked and all seem connected. But I’ll post that problem in appropriate forum.