NEED HELP I BOUGHT A LOT OF RANDOM PC PARTS

Booted Ubuntu 16.04 from USB once I turned off Secure Boot (I always forget about that!) The only catch is the system hanging on press F1 to boot, no rear fan detected. I think maybe the 80MM fan I have connected doesn't spin fast enough or something. Windows 7 setup loaded to the start installation but I didn't have a spare SATA disc connected at the moment and the old Dell Dimension 2400 PSU connected to the board lacks SATA power. Bios detected the processor and RAM and didn't pitch a hissy fit and just shorting the power and reset pins with a screw resets and boots the system perfectly fine. I mean obviously there's no overclocking or any advanced features like DRAM timing controls but it'll run anything the H87 chipset is compatible with as far as I can tell. Officially it only supports 4 core "84W" TDP Haswell but here I am with a 2 core "53W" Haswell just fine, but lets be real it's like a 30W chip.

I've got a couple of old platter 2.5 SATA drives and Molex to SATA, I can do a Windows 7 install if anyone wants some more confirmation that this Pegatron Memphis-B board isn't propriatery and totally locked up. Now what I don't know is if there's a whitelist problem for graphics cards but I don't think there is, this board is meant for the HP Envy line of 'performance' desktop systems aimed at consumers. It's usually business systems with that issue, usually. I can pop in a spare video card and see if it works, I know it's not a card you could buy the Envy 700 with. I've got a few Nvidia somethings here that are fairly old but should work fine.

How far do you want me to dive into this? I've got time today.

Ok, booted up with a different rear fan with no system fan warning and a low profile 9400GT installed so there seems to be no BIOS whitelist for graphics cards at play here. Just short the two pins for the power switch and off it goes without any key presses! For $133 shipped an i5, motherboard, 16GB RAM, and a 32GB Msata with Windows 10 installed on it seems like a good way to go. Relegate the 2nd gen Core system to some other duty or sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about being high and not thinking. I have just bought this listing and I might regret it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Envy-700-214-Motherboard-Intel-i5-4440-16GB-DDR3-Win10-32GB-mSata-Read/163508040314?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I have an old Dell Vostro 230 case that I was planning to put it in but it sounds like the power switch and i/o panels will not work, will buying a standard ATX case/ power switch solve this?

If not I'll have  to scrap the ram and cpu and purchase a new 1155 mobo and case, at least I think.....It was more sleep-deprived shopping for PC parts rather than drug-induced. Any thoughts?

Which Vostro 230? There's a few, a slim tower, a short fat tower. If you have the slim tower then it probably won't fit. If you have the short fat tower it might fit, that'll depend if the board that's in there is a standard ATX size board, likely mATX. From photos on Google image search it looks like maybe that is a standard mATX board like the HP board.

As far as the front connectors, see that thread I linked. It outlines which pin is which on the HP motherboard, there should be something similar online for your Dell board if you search by part number printed on it, or you can trace the wire colors to the front panel LED's and switches. You may need to unpin the Dell front panel header and plug them into the HP board one by one.

Oh hey look what turned up on Google results!

It's the standard size Vostro 230, not the slim.

desktop-vostro-230-right-relativesized-5

I've cross-referenced the two mobos, and it should fit in this Vostro case, but methinks the power and usb I/Os wont line up since the vostro is proprietary. Thanks for pointing me in a direction I didn't think of.I did manage to pull out an ancient ATX case from the year 2000 (Making a Linus sleeper PC?) in case things dont work out, I'm relieved at this at least.

I have a EVGA 430w PSU, an MSI GTX 1050ti LP, and two HDD's ready to go for this case. I hope I don't have to spend any more $$$.

Thank you again for your insight!

Let us know how it turns out, maybe make your own build thread.

The Vostro case might work, what's the ATX case look like as far as fans and cooling? May be better than the Vostro...in that regard. I've recycled plenty of old ATX cases for newer builds, put i5 systems in Dell Dimension 2400 cases with a few green LEDs for effect. Makes a cool looking 'retro' computer for cheap. 430W seems a little small on the PSU side but may be fine. I think that HP board has a Win10 Home product key stored in BIOS, so you should be able to swap the 32GB boot drive for a bigger one.

The full size ATX case originally held a mini-ATX Intel CA810E mobo, with only a front intake fan.

The power/reset and led cables are standard, so using the HP Envy header diagram linked in this thread I would think would work for sure.

I'll probably make a thread once the mobo arrives hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_20190207_163355.jpg

IMG_20190207_163415.jpg

IMG_20190207_163433.jpg

IMG_20190207_163519.jpg

While that case will work, the lack of rear fan is less than ideal for getting hot air out of the case. There's some crappy little fans that go in the card slots that might help some but aren't nearly as good as a real fan back there. I dare say it, the Vostro case may be better, can you get some photos of the power/led header from the Vostro case? It may be able to be re-pinned to match the HP board. Otherwise literally any other $30 or under case on eBay will be better in terms of getting heat out of the computer than that ye olde ATX case is without any rear fan.

Just woke up, and it should be coming later today, I'll take acutal pictures of the cables itself to make sure these line up.  I'm also wondering about the front panel I/O header as well, which is the green connector shown. I do have a pile of old IDE master/slave jumpers as well, if that helps to put any in to avoid any boot up I/O panel errors. Could I use the micro-switch cables from the older atx board in the dell? I'm a bumpkin when it comes to things like re-pinning. I'm willing to try though if it comes to that.

I also found this post of  someone putting an MSI Z87M-G43 board into their 230. Looks like its using the case headers as well.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/not-your-typical-dell-vostro-230/75177

I really thought I couldve just swapped out the boards and lined up the cables, But the more I read into that ebay deal, I didnt realize this isnt that straightforward. I'm not complaining, im just surprised, and its a bit outside my level of exp, but I wanna make this work, hopefully w/o spending on a new case is all. And I like this Vostro case too!

51qxcATjDML._SX425_.jpg

51ujYt3-mlL._SL1164_.jpg

usb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am using dc 6300 MT...and spec are here:

=> Win 7

=> 8gb Ram (1333)

=> PSU 320

=>gtx 750 msi oc edition 1 gb (requires 400 psu) but i am still using it on 320 psu.

=>Processor Xeon e3-1290

played:

sniper elite 4

COD infinite war fare (with some adjustments)...with moderate fps.

Battlefield 1 (with some adjustments)...with moderate fps.

pubg (High)

Sniper ghost warrior 3 (with some adjustments)...with moderate fps.

Its based on Lga1155 socket type