Asus Maximus XI Hero - BIOS issue with Primary Display

So, I have been having issue with my GPU skipping splash screen and only displaying when the post reach the login screen for windows 10. The GUP will not display the BIOS. I did a simple test by leaving it at post code A9 for 5 hours. The display was not turned on by the GPU. If I want to use the BIOS, I have to switch to the cpu graphic.

Since the entire system is water cooled I don't want to take it all out again. I only tested with CPU graphic before installing it. However, my GPUs are all detected by the motherboard (verified under tool tab in BIOS, it detects both GTX 1080TI).

I have narrowed it down to the primary display setting in BIOS. I enabled the function for the on board graphic to be used to output to multi display. Once that was enabled the on board graphic also skips splash screen and BIOS.

So, the biggest issue is that I the primary display changes are not saved. If I change it to PCIE or Auto, the BIOS will change it back to the CPU graphic (Verified after getting into the BIOS using the CPU graphic. Not sure if that changes it or the bios just doesn't save primary displace changes).

I tried it in BIOS versions: 0702 and BETA 0803. Both have the same issue. Is it a feature build into the board? 

Anyone else have the same issue or knows how to resolve it? Other than taking it out of the loop and write a FU email to Asus for RMA.

Thanks in advance.

Are you by any chance using HDMI and is your display pretty old or a TV?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Are you by any chance using HDMI and is your display pretty old or a TV?

Yes, I'm using a HDMI cable on my TV. Personally, I'm not sure why that would be an issue. I have connected the same TV using HDMi to my 6700k and 7700k build. They don't have the same issue.

9 minutes ago, Moose1990 said:

Yes, I'm using a HDMI cable on my TV. Personally, I'm not sure why that would be an issue. I have connected the same TV using HDMi to my 6700k and 7700k build. They don't have the same issue.

There's a very long standing bug where certain GPUs running over HDMI won't display BIOS, it mostly affects TVs but can affect older monitors too.

Here, look for yourself - https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+tv+no+bios&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Try another hdmi cable but honestly if you've got that bug I don't know of any fix.

Btw I'm aware of it because an old TV of mine suffered from it. It has something to do with UEFI GOP using weird resolutions that not all TVs like.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's a very long standing bug where certain GPUs running over HDMI won't display BIOS, it mostly affects TVs but can affect older monitors too.

Here, look for yourself - https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+tv+no+bios&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Try another hdmi cable but honestly if you've got that but I don't know of any fix.

Btw I'm aware of it because an old TV of mine suffered from it.

It can't be the HDMI cable, it works with the on board graphics. I guess I could test the GPU tomorrow. I do have a lot of soft tubings lying around. I was trying to avoid that. LOL. Thanks, man.

Personally, I still think it's a BIOS bug on primary display.

I’ve had 15 plus mobos and I don’t get a post screen on any unless igpu is plugged in

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

• 4 months later...

I just put together my new system with an ROG maximus hero xi wifi mobo and a 980ti graphics card and can confirm that I am unable to get the 980ti to run as the primary display (regardless of the PCI slot used) which is frustrating as I was planning on a single monitor setup. I have tried both DVI and displayport (not HDMI). I think this warrants some investigation.

If I had to choose an alternative motherboard with high performance (primarily a high-end workstation) - does anyone have a solid recommendation?

• 6 months later...

DRBTC did you find a solution to this?  Just built a new system with a Maximus XI Hero Wifi and an i9 9900K.  I have a GTX980.  The mobo doesn't seem to like it.  I've managed to get it recognised and working through Windows 10 and some luck.   I was gaming away on it happily.  However, booting from cold this morning and suddenly it's no longer detected.  VGA is fine.  The 980 appears as 'Hidden' in Device Manager but despite a lot of poking around with the BIOS, I just can't get a signal from/through the GPU.  There seems to be a driver or compatibility issue...

On 6/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, DRBTC said:

I just put together my new system with an ROG maximus hero xi wifi mobo and a 980ti graphics card and can confirm that I am unable to get the 980ti to run as the primary display (regardless of the PCI slot used) which is frustrating as I was planning on a single monitor setup. I have tried both DVI and displayport (not HDMI). I think this warrants some investigation.

I'm having the same issue with my 980 Classified (EVGA)...my Maximus XI hero seems not to recognise it.  Or it has on a couple of occasions and it's worked, and I was using it for a couple of days, and then it disappeared.  Nothing I've tried seems to have worked to get the board to detect it.

• 7 months later...

I have just run into this issue, so I been using this mobo no issues for months (2 displays running display port) I got 3rd monitor and try to connected it via HDMI, then I reboot my computer to blank screen. I spent hours trying to trouble shoot it and I been trying to search the web and found nothing. I did find a video online where you try to change the primary display to anything, after reboot it defaults back to CPU graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fc_2gqVn-c

This issue is so annoying, I have submitted a claim with asus but who knows when I get a reply. I hope someone found a solution.