2 routers situation

WesTooLoose
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, WesTooLoose said:

i am using a vpn service myself, it's just i might be helping my neighbour out for a month and i want the main network protected while they are using it until they are back on their feet

Then a guest network will be fine.

so I have 2 routers a tp-link Archer C2300 and a Netgear R6100, the archer router is connect to my modem and will be the main router for data transfer between the main network, i have the netgear set up as a guest network for my neighbours or friends to use away from my main network for security reasons (and a really complicated situation) will the netgear be able to access the main network if its connected by ethernet to the tp-link router?

second question is i want to update the netgear router with a more secure firmware (last update was 2017) any suggestions on what firmware to use or if i should do that?
would using a guest network be easier over a long period of time of continuous use(approximately one month of continuous use) and would it be safe and not access the files shared over the main network?

thank you for your time and help

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just setup guest wifi on the main router?

honestly it's fear of sensitive data, it's why I asked if a guest network would be safe for prolonged usage (daily over a month, possibly continuous streaming)

3 minutes ago, WesTooLoose said:

honestly it's fear of sensitive data, it's why I asked if a guest network would be safe for prolonged usage (daily over a month, possibly continuous streaming)

a guest wifi is normally fine, but if data is very important, you probably want to get a vpn or a second isp connection or something else.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a guest wifi is normally fine, but if data is very important, you probably want to get a vpn or a second isp connection or something else.

i am using a vpn service myself, it's just i might be helping my neighbour out for a month and i want the main network protected while they are using it until they are back on their feet

Just now, WesTooLoose said:

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thank you for the help