Graininess on ASUS VG278Q 27” Full HD 1080p 144Hz

datsphilthy

Hello all,

I recently purchased a ASUS VG278Q 27” Full HD 1080p 144Hz monitor and was wondering if anyone else sees what I see at high FPS.. 

If you look really close at your monitor you can see each pixel square. Well, I can see those pixel lines and they're pretty pronounced when (and only when) I am moving diagonally or an object is moving quickly on the screen and its insanely distracting/driving me nuts. I really only play fortnite and overwatch but I occasionally get on WoW and could see the same thing pronounced whenever I ran diagonally.

I sit probably 2 or 2 1/2 ft from the screen. I have 144hz enabled and also have adaptive sync enabled with the new update. I really want to say this is just a 27" trait since its 1080p? Does anyone else see this kind of thing or am I crazy?

My setup is:

i5 8400

gtx 1060 6gb

2666 ram

1tb nvme m.2

24in is the biggest you ever want to go for 1080p. Anything more and it is a major screen door effect. 27in and up you must have 1440p or higher.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

24in is the biggest you ever want to go for 1080p. Anything more and it is a major screen door effect. 27in and up you must have 1440p or higher.

That's what I was afraid of :(

What is your opinion on games like overwatch and fortnite using an IPS panel? Is the input lag really that noticeable compared to TN? I read comments about how they felt "slow" compared to TN.

Just now, datsphilthy said:

That's what I was afraid of :(

What is your opinion on games like overwatch and fortnite using an IPS panel? Is the input lag really that noticeable compared to TN? I read comments about how they felt "slow" compared to TN.

If you aren't a pro playing for money, doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, datsphilthy said:

Hello all,

I recently purchased a ASUS VG278Q 27” Full HD 1080p 144Hz monitor and was wondering if anyone else sees what I see at high FPS.. 

If you look really close at your monitor you can see each pixel square. Well, I can see those pixel lines and they're pretty pronounced when (and only when) I am moving diagonally or an object is moving quickly on the screen and its insanely distracting/driving me nuts. I really only play fortnite and overwatch but I occasionally get on WoW and could see the same thing pronounced whenever I ran diagonally.

I sit probably 2 or 2 1/2 ft from the screen. I have 144hz enabled and also have adaptive sync enabled with the new update. I really want to say this is just a 27" trait since its 1080p? Does anyone else see this kind of thing or am I crazy?

My setup is:

i5 8400

gtx 1060 6gb

2666 ram

1tb nvme m.2

I have the same monitor and sit roughly the same distance away and don't notice anything like you're describing but maybe my eyes are just worse than yours.   For myself 27" is fine, I have to lean in to about one foot from the monitor to start seeing the screen door.   I do however notice frame skipping at 144hz and others have noticed the same thing.  Running at 120hz is noticeably smoother and gets good results on a frame skip test.

144hz

Spoiler

20190121_101613.thumb.jpg.810370c5bd7edc0964e4529d2d2e6c5f.jpg

120hz

Spoiler

20190121_101700.thumb.jpg.0526022f49580f974b1b7acd57b62188.jpg

9 minutes ago, CorruptedSanity said:

I have the same monitor and sit roughly the same distance away and don't notice anything like you're describing but maybe my eyes are just worse than yours.   For myself 27" is fine, I have to lean in to about one foot from the monitor to start seeing the screen door.   I do however notice frame skipping at 144hz and others have noticed the same thing.  Running at 120hz is noticeably smoother and gets good results on a frame skip test.

144hz

Reveal hidden contents

20190121_101613.thumb.jpg.810370c5bd7edc0964e4529d2d2e6c5f.jpg

120hz

Reveal hidden contents

20190121_101700.thumb.jpg.0526022f49580f974b1b7acd57b62188.jpg

I wonder if screen door would be noticeable on an IPS panel at 27"

1 minute ago, datsphilthy said:

I wonder if screen door would be noticeable on an IPS panel at 27"

I've never used an IPS but probably, it would be the same pixel density.  Return/sell it and either go 1440p 27" or 1080p 24" or just sit further away/push the monitor back.

Suitable resolution is all a matter of how far you sit away from the screen. if you sat far enough away from the screen, you wouldn't see a difference between 1080p/1440p/4k, 
but since you are so close, and the screen is so big, the pixels are big enough to see

There are a bunch of graphs you can google, this one is just the first one i grabbed:

Image result for resolution vs viewing distance

For how far away you are sitting, you probably may want to go with either a smaller monitor, or step up to 1440p.

With that said
you may have difficulty running anything higher than 1080p with only a gtx 1060 with suitably high frame rates, and most gamers will say that
frame rate is far more important than resolution.

Hope this helps 

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White