Application blocked from accessing graphics hardware

Spktral

Hello,  I've been having a bit of a frustrating issue recently where games will freeze up for 3-5 seconds, then recover. It is only the game that freezes, I can still move my mouse around and tab out when it happens. Initially began when playing WoW TBC and now with Diablo 3. GPU temp sits around 70-75c when this happens. 

My PC: 

i5-4460

8GB 

Sapphire R9-270X

Ennermax 525w (Pro 82+)

At first, the freezes gave the error notification of "application blocked from accessing graphics hardware". I've tried:

- fresh installing drivers (removing in safe mode with DDU)

- uninstalling drivers and letting Windows auto install

- adding TdrDelay to registry 

- underclocking GPU core / memory 

Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10. Latest drivers installed. Same issue only now there is no error notification. Anyone have any ideas on what else to try or what could be the cause? 

22 minutes ago, Spktral said:

Hello,  I've been having a bit of a frustrating issue recently where games will freeze up for 3-5 seconds, then recover. It is only the game that freezes, I can still move my mouse around and tab out when it happens. Initially began when playing WoW TBC and now with Diablo 3. GPU temp sits around 70-75c when this happens. 

My PC: 

i5-4460

8GB 

Sapphire R9-270X

Ennermax 525w (Pro 82+)

At first, the freezes gave the error notification of "application blocked from accessing graphics hardware". I've tried:

- fresh installing drivers (removing in safe mode with DDU)

- uninstalling drivers and letting Windows auto install

- adding TdrDelay to registry 

- underclocking GPU core / memory 

Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10. Latest drivers installed. Same issue only now there is no error notification. Anyone have any ideas on what else to try or what could be the cause? 

sounds like some tool/software running in the background is causing this. try deactivating your AV. If the freezes still occure then take everything out of your autostart, reboot and try again

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

I'd probably try getting a new power supply. If it's the culprit, you should replace it ASAP.

Get a Corsair CX450, CX550, CX450M or CX550M. Very good PSUs

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

sounds like some tool/software running in the background is causing this. try deactivating your AV. If the freezes still occure then take everything out of your autostart, reboot and try again

I kinda figured the same thing, but still happens after a fresh OS install with nothing but D3, Discord and Chrome installed. Could Windows Defender be messing with things? I just realized this started happening after a recent Windows Update. 

3 minutes ago, Spktral said:

I kinda figured the same thing, but still happens after a fresh OS install with nothing but D3, Discord and Chrome installed. Could Windows Defender be messing with things? I just realized this started happening after a recent Windows Update. 

Should not... Which Win10 Version do you have? 1809?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

6 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Should not... Which Win10 Version do you have? 1809?