Basic Cisco Phone Setup

BobBuilder

Hi, is it possible to configure Cisco phones simply to just use the PSTN? (without buying an VOIP number, etc.) Like can I buy something that allows me to connect a Cisco phone to an RJ11 port from my landline telephone service provider and use it like any other home phone off the market?

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

I'm also looking into using a Cisco phone for PSTN calling.

I've found this if it helps: https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wired-Routers/Connecting-a-Cisco-IP-phone-to-the-PSTN/td-p/352085

So I can connect the SPA-3102 to my normal landline via the RJ11 port on my wall, and I can connect the SPA-3102 to my internet router?
Then I would be able to use any Cisco IP phone by just connecting them to my LAN and configuring them to the SPA-3102?
Sweet!

Is there an updated model for this? Linksys doesn't seem to manufacture this model anymore :/

6 minutes ago, Aloau said:

So I can connect the SPA-3102 to my normal landline via the RJ11 port on my wall, and I can connect the SPA-3102 to my internet router?
Then I would be able to use any Cisco IP phone by just connecting them to my LAN and configuring them to the SPA-3102?
Sweet!

Is there an updated model for this? Linksys doesn't seem to manufacture this model anymore :/

SPA122 or SPA112 I think are your best bet

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Does anyone have experience with the SPA122 in this kind of configuration? Does it work this way, because...

it works over an IP network to connect analog phones and fax machines to a VoIP service provider

^ from Cisco.com

It seems it allows analog phones to connect to a VoIP service provider
What I want is to connect VoIP phones to an analog provider

9 hours ago, Aloau said:

Does anyone have experience with the SPA122 in this kind of configuration? Does it work this way, because...

^ from Cisco.com

It seems it allows analog phones to connect to a VoIP service provider
What I want is to connect VoIP phones to an analog provider

What I'm wondering if is if I can connect the VoIP phones directly to the ATA without using a PBX? (Analog phone line -> ATA -> VoIP phones) If I can connect it this way, is there a limit on the amount of VoIP phones I can connect before needing a PBX?

Or I MUST connect the phones through a PBX or they cannot call in/call out through the ATA?
Analog phone line -> ATA -> PBX -> VoIP phones

8 hours ago, Aloau said:

What I'm wondering if is if I can connect the VoIP phones directly to the ATA without using a PBX? (Analog phone line -> ATA -> VoIP phones) If I can connect it this way, is there a limit on the amount of VoIP phones I can connect before needing a PBX?

Or I MUST connect the phones through a PBX or they cannot call in/call out through the ATA?
Analog phone line -> ATA -> PBX -> VoIP phones

Ah, I didn't realize originally that you wanted to go VoIP to analog. In that case the only one I see is the SPA8800 but depending on your needs something like the OBiHai 110 or similar which has FXO and FXS ports but you might be a bit limited in terms of functionality although it depends on what you want and if you don't need advanced features it might work just fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Ah, I didn't realize originally that you wanted to go VoIP to analog. In that case the only one I see is the SPA8800 but depending on your needs something like the OBiHai 110 or similar which has FXO and FXS ports but you might be a bit limited in terms of functionality although it depends on what you want and if you don't need advanced features it might work just fine.

Do you know if I need an PBX if I will just be using a few IP Phones just to call in and out through the telephone line? Will the SPA8800/OBiHai 110 be able to route incoming/outgoing calls from the IP Phones in the network out the telephone line?

Hold on, just learnt that there's a difference between analog and digital telephone lines, is this considered an analog or digital line? (fibre optical cable -> optical network terminal -> RJ11 out to phone)

Will an digital telephone line also work with these equipment? (SPA3102/SPA8800/OBiHai 110)?

27 minutes ago, Aloau said:

Hold on, just learnt that there's a difference between analog and digital telephone lines, is this considered an analog or digital line? (fibre optical cable -> optical network terminal -> RJ11 out to phone)

Will an digital telephone line also work with these equipment? (SPA3102/SPA8800/OBiHai 110)?

It should work since the ONT should convert the signal properly but I'm not really up to speed on phone and call stuff unfortunately. It should work just fine since I have a similar setup though with my OBiHai box but I'm doing a fax machine to VoIP although I would imagine your scenario is just in reverse of mine going from digital to analog.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Pretty much all of these will require some form of SIP Registration. The BIiHai110 can connect through Google voice which is fine but you will still need a landline phone to connect to the SPA3102. That model is also EOL.