Wifi alternatives (Help)

PerpetualToddler

The wifi router/access point/modem is in the farthest corner of the house from my room, so wifi in there kinda sucks. On my phone, it's OK, but on my PC, I can barely even connect. I want to find some alternative to connect my PC to the internet, but I'm struggling to find something that works.

Ethernet was my first thought, but I don't want to run a wire across the entire house. Running the wire outside the house isn't an option.

There's only one port for the router to connect to, so I can't move it closer to the middle of the house.

I've heard of powerline adapters, which would be nice, but they're quite expensive.

I'm hoping that there is a solution that's cheap and easy so I can at least connect with a reasonable speed. I'm not looking for Gigabit speeds (We only pay for like 20 MBps anyway) but I don't want to have to bring my pc into the living room just to go online with it (Which doesn't even really work well anyway). If you know of any solutions that might work, please let me know. Thank you!

You could get a Desk/Table with wheels... ?

Powerline Adapters tend to be sorta crap in my admittedly limited experience - they could work for you if you are willing to sink the money to test em. It entirely depends on the Wiring in both layout and quality of your House though.

You could grab a cheap Extender/Repeater and try that.

Or since your Phone seems to do fine you could try a different Wifi Card / Dongle / Adapter on your PC

15 minutes ago, VK707 said:

Powerline Adapters tend to be sorta crap in my admittedly limited experience - they could work for you if you are willing to sink the money to test em. It entirely depends on the Wiring in both layout and quality of your House though.

^^^ this

I've never had any luck with any power line adapter. Not worth it.

If you're not doing any competitive gaming, a repeater could solve your problem. It adds a little but of latency. But won't affect normal using. Competitive games you'll notice.

Otherwise, you'll have to purchase a higher quality router with beam forming.

Or aluminum can.

26 minutes ago, PerpetualToddler said:

The wifi router/access point/modem is in the farthest corner of the house from my room, so wifi in there kinda sucks. On my phone, it's OK, but on my PC, I can barely even connect. I want to find some alternative to connect my PC to the internet, but I'm struggling to find something that works.

Ethernet was my first thought, but I don't want to run a wire across the entire house. Running the wire outside the house isn't an option.

There's only one port for the router to connect to, so I can't move it closer to the middle of the house.

I've heard of powerline adapters, which would be nice, but they're quite expensive.

I'm hoping that there is a solution that's cheap and easy so I can at least connect with a reasonable speed. I'm not looking for Gigabit speeds (We only pay for like 20 MBps anyway) but I don't want to have to bring my pc into the living room just to go online with it (Which doesn't even really work well anyway). If you know of any solutions that might work, please let me know. Thank you!

I have a powerline adapter and it works perfect. they are only 50 cad on amazon. I don't get how that would be expensive

18 minutes ago, VK707 said:

You could grab a cheap Extender/Repeater and try that.

Or since your Phone seems to do fine you could try a different Wifi Card / Dongle / Adapter on your PC

I have tried extenders and they are crap. I use a powerline adapter and I get perfect speeds for what we pay for.

8 hours ago, Smiles4Miles said:

I have a powerline adapter and it works perfect. they are only 50 cad on amazon. I don't get how that would be expensive

The ones I see on Amazon are $60-$100 USD

You can get a secondary router for your house like an apple airport express, depending upon which router you have you can get one that corresponds with it.

8 hours ago, Darpyface said:

You can get a secondary router for your house like an apple airport express, depending upon which router you have you can get one that corresponds with it.

The issue with this is the internet only comes into my house at one place, so there's nowhere to plug in another router.

The way I tackled undesirable wifi in the place I'm renting right now was I talked to a sales rep at my mobile provider (mobile carrier for people in the US) and explained my dilemma and that I couldn't install anything because I was renting.

The sales rep knew, having been in the store previously, that I had a tablet with LTE on contract with them as well as a phone with them and suggested an unlimited data sim card and just tether straight off of it to my other devices since they offered unlimited tethering.

I've not really been throttled a great deal since. And I would say I probably use around 400-500GB per month off of it. It does mean that whatever you're tethering off of will have worse battery life and the devices you want to tether to must be able to receive Wi-Fi but I've found the arrangement works fine for me other than completely ruining the value proposition for the on contract tablet for now. Thankfully this is a fairly short term solution for me and I won't be needing to continue this beyond late 2019. By the way if you want to know how much the unlimited sim costs me, it's £25 per month although I've been told in the US data plans are a lot more expensive.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The way I tackled undesirable wifi in the place I'm renting right now was I talked to a sales rep at my mobile provider (mobile carrier for people in the US) and explained my dilemma and that I couldn't install anything because I was renting.

The sales rep knew, having been in the store previously, that I had a tablet with LTE on contract with them as well as a phone with them and suggested an unlimited data sim card and just tether straight off of it to my other devices since they offered unlimited tethering.

I've not really been throttled a great deal since. And I would say I probably use around 400-500GB per month off of it. It does mean that whatever you're tethering off of will have worse battery life and the devices you want to tether to must be able to receive Wi-Fi but I've found the arrangement works fine for me other than completely ruining the value proposition for the on contract tablet for now. Thankfully this is a fairly short term solution for me and I won't be needing to continue this beyond late 2019. By the way if you want to know how much the unlimited sim costs me, it's £25 per month although I've been told in the US data plans are a lot more expensive.

Because of where I live, I am severely limited to only Verizon or AT&T, the two biggest mobile providers where I am. Other providers don't have service at my house. It would cost about $70 USD per month to get unlimited data. That's way more than I can afford.

4 hours ago, PerpetualToddler said:

Because of where I live, I am severely limited to only Verizon or AT&T, the two biggest mobile providers where I am. Other providers don't have service at my house. It would cost about $70 USD per month to get unlimited data. That's way more than I can afford.

In that case I would get a better router or possibly a Wi-Fi extender/booster.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),