Upgrade or refresh....4690k

Steve1978

Hi,

I currently have a 1080 running in a 4690k with an msi micro at board, for multiple reasons the board restricts me, lack of expansion slots mainly.

I am in a dilemma of upgrade path, I was really keen on the new AMD announcement at CES for the new 7nm cpus but as they are not due out until later in the year I think I am going to need to make a decision sooner. 

Do I buy a used 1150 z97 board for around £130 or do I spend maybe £600 on a cpu, board and DDR4?

1 minute ago, Steve1978 said:

I spend maybe £600 on a cpu, board and DDR4?

or just like 400 for a good mobo, a 2600 and 16 gigs of 3000+ mhz ram and get a zen2 chip down the line?

Is it defo going to be the same socket? 

Can an you give me some ideas of chip and board? I haven’t really looked at any AMD stuff for a very long time!

5 minutes ago, Steve1978 said:

Do I buy a used 1150 z97 board for around £130 or do I spend maybe £600 on a cpu, board and DDR4?

I know that spending a lot of money is never that funny but on your case considering how much tech has changed even if you got the i7 5775C which is the best possible CPU for Z97 you'd still be lagging behind what a Ryzen 5 2600X and Coffee Lake CPUs can offer to a noticeable extend.

I wouldn't bother personally and just go all in with the new platform... now if you want to wait or not for Ryzen 3000 series that's up to you... it'll take another couple months though... an i7 8700K for instance already would be a more than welcome upgrade and will remain relevant for gaming for many years to come.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Steve1978 said:

Is it defo going to be the same socket? 

Can an you give me some ideas of chip and board? I haven’t really looked at any AMD stuff for a very long time!

yes. all ryzen chips untill 2020 will support am4

Excellent, thanks you both. Just joined this forum and think its ace!

Excellent, thanks you both. Just joined this forum and think its ace!

then I'll learn you something... you should quote people as they get a notification from it

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then I'll learn you something... you should quote people as they get a notification from it

LOL. @Steve1978 I would agree that a full platform upgrade is probably your best bet. I am an intel fanboy and love my 8700K, but that isn't to say that a 2500X or 2700X, with a newer mobo and some DDR4 wouldn't be stellar for gaming as well. Its 2019 Steve, TREAT YO SELF.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

you mean 2600? 2500x is a quadcore

Oh my bad, is it the 2600x and 2700x in the latest gen? Shows how much I pay attention to AMD....

Regardless, the most recent gen of Ryzen chips are super sweet for price/performance IMO.

Just now, FUR1AN said:

Oh my bad, is it the 2600x and 2700x in the latest gen? Shows how much I pay attention to AMD....

Regardless, the most recent gen of Ryzen chips are super sweet for price/performance IMO.

untill may probebly. 2600 is better value as x versions are just factory overclocked versions of the same

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

untill may probebly. 2600 is better value as x versions are just factory overclocked versions of the same

Interesting, is AMD different than Intel in that sense then? Because Intel X Skews are "unlocked" for overclocking whereas non X skews are locked and cannot be overclocked. Can you manually overclock a non X skew AMD chip?

42 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

or just like 400 for a good mobo, a 2600 and 16 gigs of 3000+ mhz ram and get a zen2 chip down the line?

Ok, I am thinking this...

Asus ROG vii hero £257

Ryzen 3 1200

corsair 16gb plc 3200 Ddr4

then when the new chips are out I could upgrade the cpu to the new 7nm

5 minutes ago, FUR1AN said:

Interesting, is AMD different than Intel in that sense then? Because Intel X Skews are "unlocked" for overclocking whereas non X skews are locked and cannot be overclocked. Can you manually overclock a non X skew AMD chip?

on x and k for intel they are unlocked. at amd all ryzen chips are unlocked. and you don't need a x series mobo either, you can get a b series and still overclock on it

Ok, I am thinking this...

Asus ROG vii hero £257

Ryzen 3 1200

corsair 16gb plc 3200 Ddr4

then when the new chips are out I could upgrade the cpu to the new 7nm

away with that board, swap it for a taichi, taichi ultimate or even a x470 fatal1ty. you know 2600 is a hypertreaded hexa core for 150-170 bucks right? ram is fine

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

taichi ultimate

Never even heard of this, I will have a look now. Thanks 

1 minute ago, Steve1978 said:

Never even heard of this, I will have a look now. Thanks 

it's around the same price, has better vrms and even 10 gig networking

and asrock used to be part of asus if you care about that

Edited by LukeSavenije