FPS Drops but good GPU and CPU

KimJongTiramisu

Hey,

I have built a new PC a few weeks ago and I got FPS Drops for half a second in many games, Black Ops 3, Pubg, Battlefield V, even though I've got good FPS the most of the time.

My Setup:

-Asus prime x370 pro (newest Bios version)

-MSI Armor RTX 2070 (newest Nvidia Driver)

-Ryzen 7 2700x

-2x8 GB RAM Ripjaws V 3200Mhz (in Uefi set to 2933MHz)

-550W PSU, Be Quiet

-Kingston A1000 SSD

-2TB Baracuda HDD

I have not overclocked my Hardeware. GPU max Clock is 1845Mhz.

What happens exactly:

From time to time, in Pubg every 30 Seconds I got Frame drops and the game is stuttering, I experienced the same in Battlefield V / 1 and Black OPS 3.

The GPU usage also drops but not the GPU clock nor the CPU clock. Temperatues seems to be Ok, CPU never reaches 70 Degrees and GPU the same.

Temperatues of motherboard are also ok, never above 45 Degrees.

CPU is not under full load and a single core is never at 100%.

It doesn't matter on which Graphic Settings I play and also not if the game is installed on HDD or SSD. But I used to play on Ultra where I get if there are no drops about 110 to 120 FPS in PUBG.

Also the GPU Usage is even on Ultra Settings on PUBG never at 97% or so it mostly is between 80 and 90 and sometimes drops even lower...

And Yes, VSync and any other Frame limiter is turned off.

What I tried so far:

- Looked if the Ram is in Dual Channel.

- Changed to D.O.C.P Profile in UEFI

- Used DDU to remove Drivers and installed them again.

- Tried older Driver Versions.

- Updated BIOS

- Reinstalled Windows.

- Looked if AHCI is enabled in BIOS.

- Tried different Clock Speeds for Memory.

- Used different Monitor and cables.

- Used different Mouse and Keyboard (A few years ago, an other mouse caused stuttering in some applications)

- Looked if Harddrive is under heavy load but like I said it doesn't matter if the game is installed on the M2 SSD or the HDD in consideration to the FPS Drops.

- Run Memtestx86 (no Errors)

- SSD Speed test (Values were comparable)

- Set PC to highest performance in Windows Settings

What also might be interesting:

-If I run Unity Valley Benchmark, GPU Usage is at 99%.

-I also get comparable Results in 3D-Mark and in these Benchmarks I don't experience any FPS Drops.

-When I use diffrent RAM speeds like 2133 MHz, PUBG is nearly unplayable because of the many Fps Drops when I view in different directions.

But in Battlefield V it's playable for the fiirst 10 Minutes then it starts dropping again.

-I don't experience any drops in Insurgency Sandstorm or Rocket League. 

I think it might be the RAM or the Motherboard but I have no clue.

I hope somebody could help me, I hope I didn't forgot something, if so ask me.

I'm sorry for my bad English. Thanks in advance.

Try XMP profile on the RAM and check out your internet connection and be aware of others using the internet (like tablets, other computers etc.). It can also be background task like Windows updates, virus scanning, defragmenting, random program updates and auto check ups and data syncs for like One Drive and Google Drive, Adobe, Jave etc.

Also try both sticks of RAM alone to see if they work okay. I also don't think that G.Skill speed is supported.

Disable Windows features that you don't need. Check also task scheduler. If you want to have powerful pc, spend some time to configure it instead of reinstalling. Check tasks list before lag and after it start lagging. Disable game mode. Try to underclock gpu and its memory for test.

Just now, SaintERosa said:

Try XMP profile on the RAM and check out your internet connection and be aware of others using the internet (like tablets, other computers etc.). It can also be background task like Windows updates, virus scanning, defragmenting, random program updates and auto check ups and data syncs for like One Drive and Google Drive, Adobe, Jave etc.

Also try both sticks of RAM alone to see if they work okay.

Ok I'll try one Ram Stick.

XMP is D.O.C.P on Asus I guess. Ram on 1.35 V.

It happens in Single Player too. Tested in COD. I don't have any programms open in background.

Couldn't find any process which should block the game from running on full load

9 hours ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Yeah, I checked that, can‘t find exactly my RAM. I ordered new ones from the list. I‘ll try that tomorrow

Really? You choose to spend money when your computer works good? Compatibility list doesn't works that way - it's not full list of ram modules that works, but list of ram modules that was tested. Nobody tests their motherboards with all memory sticks on the market.

BTW. Do you try my advice about underclock GPU? I assume no, because I wrote about it at the end of my post.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Really? You choose to spend money when your computer works good? Compatibility list doesn't works that way - it's not full list of ram modules that works, but list of ram modules that was tested. Nobody tests their motherboards with all memory sticks on the market.

BTW. Do you try my advice about underclock GPU? I assume no, because I wrote about it at the end of my post.

Ah ok, I‘ll try a RAM from the Compatibility List anyway. I will underclock the GPU later but why you think that makes a difference?

12 minutes ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Ah ok, I‘ll try a RAM from the Compatibility List anyway. I will underclock the GPU later but why you think that makes a difference?

Because of sympthoms. It may be hardware related. Every producer overclocks his GPU these days. It's good for reviews and numbers, but not always good for hardware. And even if you can cool down overclocked card, it doesn't mean it will work good. You can, for example, overclock i7 8700k to 6 GHz and made few tests, not so hardcore ones. And you'll end with system crash, even if temperatures are ok and you don't use CPU heavy tasks (you'll get BSOD before you even start testing anything). So based on informations you wrote, I suspect that default OC may be a problem.

So install MSI Afterburner, downclock Core Clock and Memory Clock (even to the max - it will allow you to set -400 / -500 maximum downclock anyway) and check if everything will be ok. And don't worry - if this helps, your GPU still will be very good. 3-4 fps difference should no make worse game experience. And increase lifetime of your GPU.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Because of sympthoms. It may be hardware related. Every producer overclocks his GPU these days. It's good for reviews and numbers, but not always good for hardware. And even if you can cool down overclocked card, it doesn't mean it will work good. You can, for example, overclock i7 8700k to 6 GHz and made few tests, not so hardcore ones. And you'll end with system crash, even if temperatures are ok and you don't use CPU heavy tasks (you'll get BSOD before you even start testing anything). So based on informations you wrote, I suspect that default OC may be a problem.

So install MSI Afterburner, downclock Core Clock and Memory Clock (even to the max - it will allow you to set -400 / -500 maximum downclock anyway) and check if everything will be ok. And don't worry - if this helps, your GPU still will be very good. 3-4 fps difference should no make worse game experience. And increase lifetime of your GPU.

Hey, I now turned the Game Mode off of Windows and looked vor any other Software which may cause trouble. In some way it was a little bit better. I tested it in PUBG

Then as you said I turned the GPU Clock down and memory clock. Now I experienced mostly 97% GPU Usage or 98%. Which was way bettern then before. But the lags still appeared and then the GPU usage dropped too. But it was an overall little bit better experience.(Maximum was -502 GPU memory and core clock but this made no difference)

I always recommend to check for tasks while problem occurs (in task manager for example, or use Process Hacker that shows you more).

Also try to run Autoruns tool to check what is loading at your startup - just for detect any potential problems.

Everything may slow down your computer a little - downloading updates in background (even when it should not affect), defrag drive in background etc. Sometimes even bad written game. :/

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I always recommend to check for tasks while problem occurs (in task manager for example, or use Process Hacker that shows you more).

Also try to run Autoruns tool to check what is loading at your startup - just for detect any potential problems.

Everything may slow down your computer a little - downloading updates in background (even when it should not affect), defrag drive in background etc. Sometimes even bad written game. :/

Yeah checked that, couldn't find anything. However my new RAM came today and it fixed nearly nothing... The only difference is that I now can only use 2666MHz because otherwise my System stays black (couldn't even get into the BIOS).

But I tried Titanfall 2 and there I could fix the stuttering nearly completly when I reduced GPU memory and core clock. But it's just fixed in Titanfall and even there it stutters sometimes.... I'm not really sure whats the problem... Should I try Windows 8.1? Just to see if it's software related?

If reducing clocks gives you improvement, then it may be GPU fault after all. Underclocking is not always method to fix problem, it's more for check where problem may be. If it helps, even a little, replace your GPU before it became worse.

You may try 8.1 or even win7, but it's not a fix.

22 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If reducing clocks gives you improvement, then it may be GPU fault after all. Underclocking is not always method to fix problem, it's more for check where problem may be. If it helps, even a little, replace your GPU before it became worse.

You may try 8.1 or even win7, but it's not a fix.

Ok I'll do that, thanks for your help, is this a warranty issue? So could I send it back to the company?

1 hour ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Ok I'll do that, thanks for your help, is this a warranty issue? So could I send it back to the company?

You can try. It depends on them how they check this. You may get new card or... the same card with information that gpu works perfect. They for sure don't make anything but basic tests. If you describe problem proper with all informations and lie a little that you test this card on three computers and different versions of Windows (7, 8.1 and 10) and problem starts always after 30 minutes or less while playing demanding games, then you may have chance that you get your money back or just second card.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

You can try. It depends on them how they check this. You may get new card or... the same card with information that gpu works perfect. They for sure don't make anything but basic tests. If you describe problem proper with all informations and lie a little that you test this card on three computers and different versions of Windows (7, 8.1 and 10) and problem starts always after 30 minutes or less while playing demanding games, then you may have chance that you get your money back or just second card.

Ok good idea, thank you very much, I'll try that and will notify here if something new happens.

26 minutes ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Ok good idea, thank you very much, I'll try that and will notify here if something new happens.

Good luck. But remember - it is always only guessing. It may be something completely different (even if I think that it's gpu).

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Good luck. But remember - it is always only guessing. It may be something completely different (even if I think that it's gpu).

Yeah for sure, I've got a friend and he has a gaming pc as well. I'll try to put in my GPU in his PC and maybe this will help

34 minutes ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Yeah for sure, I've got a friend and he has a gaming pc as well. I'll try to put in my GPU in his PC and maybe this will help

Even better - swap cars for 2 days.

14 hours ago, homeap5 said:

OK I see if that is possible

On 1/16/2019 at 11:15 PM, homeap5 said:

Okey, Got a new GPU (ASUS 2070 Strix oc) and the error still appears. Swapped Mainboard and the Error still appears.

Any other ideas?

So... This may be anything then. CPU OC (even if temperatures are ok, CPU may slow down - check cooling policy - is it active or passive?). It can be also game problem, some memory leak.

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

So... This may be anything then. CPU OC (even if temperatures are ok, CPU may slow down - check cooling policy - is it active or passive?). It can be also game problem, some memory leak.

I‘m having an active cooler. If I run Prime 95 it runs for 1 hour with a clock of round 3.9 ghz

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Maybe also interesting to Mentorin, if I build in a Gtx 1060 I‘m Having 97%gpu usage and no drops (Lower Settings in BFV)

2 hours ago, KimJongTiramisu said:

Maybe also interesting to Mentorin, if I build in a Gtx 1060 I‘m Having 97%gpu usage and no drops (Lower Settings in BFV)

Well, it is more probably then that processor OC may cause that problem.

Why? If your GPU bottleneck your CPU (your graphics card is fully utilized, so your CPU has high margin) then CPU is not fully used. When you use better GPU - your CPU is used more. And begin stutter.

Try to raise voltage a little or decrease CPU OC. Temperature is not the only factor.

I recommend for tests disable OC and use stock clocks.