New power supply

Evilwendie413

Is there a linus video on how to replace the power supply in the computer? i have found some videos from other users on youtube but none really seem up to date? theyre all using stock walmart looking computers..
i found a video linus made with the graphics card replacement i am watching now but not a power supply replacement.. only the moduler information video 

in case this is needed 

CORSAIR VS Series, VS650, 650 Watt, 80+ White Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply

and this is the graphic card ill be installing after i add the new card

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)

Any "How to build a PC" video should walk you through the basics of power supply installation.

Here's a video from Bitwit queued up to power supply installation process.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Any "How to build a PC" video should walk you through the basics of power supply installation.

Here's a video from Bitwit queued up to power supply installation process.

thank you! i am watching the video! its very helpful because he talks about the other USB ports power button wires etc!
no other videos i found has this thanks alot

4 hours ago, Evilwendie413 said:

Is there a linus video on how to replace the power supply in the computer? i have found some videos from other users on youtube but none really seem up to date? theyre all using stock walmart looking computers..
i found a video linus made with the graphics card replacement i am watching now but not a power supply replacement.. only the moduler information video 

in case this is needed 

CORSAIR VS Series, VS650, 650 Watt, 80+ White Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply

and this is the graphic card ill be installing after i add the new card

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)

Don't get a VS650. You DO NOT need 650W, a good 400W is EASILY enough.

Get something like a Corsair CX450 (Check your GPU only needs 1 PCIe connector if you get that), Corsair CX450M, BeQuiet PurePower 10 or 11 400W (including CM variants) instead.

18 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Don't get a VS650. You DO NOT need 650W, a good 400W is EASILY enough.

Get something like a Corsair CX450 (Check your GPU only needs 1 PCIe connector if you get that), Corsair CX450M, BeQuiet PurePower 10 or 11 400W (including CM variants) instead.

i already bought it and i figured it would be good since im going to be replaceing my motherboard and getting a new cpu etc plus i have 7 fans in my case and the person who created it put abunch of LED strips etc according to the tech videos its not going to harm anything having a better watt power supply as per what linus has said 

1 hour ago, Evilwendie413 said:

i already bought it and i figured it would be good since im going to be replaceing my motherboard and getting a new cpu etc plus i have 7 fans in my case and the person who created it put abunch of LED strips etc according to the tech videos its not going to harm anything having a better watt power supply as per what linus has said 

It is going to be detrimental, in the sense that you're getting a significantly worse PSU, and getting no benefit at all. 

Please don't write super long sentences. 

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It is going to be detrimental, in the sense that you're getting a significantly worse PSU, and getting no benefit at all. 

Please don't write super long sentences. 

why respond if youre going to be a dick?

linus said it isnt going to hurt anything.. youre telling me hes wrong?

8 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

why respond if youre going to be a dick?

linus said it isnt going to hurt anything.. youre telling me hes wrong?

Yes. When it comes to PSUs, everyone at LMG so absolutely clueless. I'd rather take advice from my cat than from anyone at LMG. 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Yes. When it comes to PSUs, everyone at LMG so absolutely clueless. I'd rather take advice from my cat than from anyone at LMG. 

then ill issue a refund and stick with my 450 power supply i got until i upgrade my hardware ... this just means i can install my graphics card when i get home today.. awesome

12 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

then ill issue a refund and stick with my 450 power supply i got until i upgrade my hardware ... this just means i can install my graphics card when i get home today.. awesome

Which model 450W do you have? Depending on what model it is, you may be better off with the Corsair VS...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Which model 450W do you have? Depending on what model it is, you may be better off with the Corsair VS...

the guy who built it put in logisys 400 or 450.. when i googled the gtx 1060 it shows it requires a 400 watt.. on asus website for the graphics card it says 500 so thats why i went 650 cause i was gonna change out the motherboard and cpu etc but not right now 

50 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

the guy who built it put in logisys 400 or 450.. when i googled the gtx 1060 it shows it requires a 400 watt.. on asus website for the graphics card it says 500 so thats why i went 650 cause i was gonna change out the motherboard and cpu etc but not right now 

What guys advised you above is that you don't need a 650 mediocre psu like vs but you need a 400-450 quality psu for your system. That Logisys is probably a bad unit from what i am googling, so between these two keep the VS. 

4 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

What guys advised you above is that you don't need a 650 mediocre psu like vs but you need a 400-450 quality psu for your system. That Logisys is probably a bad unit from what i am googling, so between these two keep the VS. 

the vs is medicore? its $60 and has tons of great reviews? idk..

10 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

the vs is medicore? its $60 and has tons of great reviews? idk..

it's mediocre to bad unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

it's mediocre to bad unfortunately.

then whats a good 500-550 psu on amazon ? i dont like to order off of any other sites besides newegg

on newegg the vs is under one of the best selling power supplies page? idk

9 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

then whats a good 500-550 psu on amazon ? i dont like to order off of any other sites besides newegg

at corsairs level I would say at least the cx(m). outside of it I refer you to the psu tier list down my signature. tier c+

28 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

Please don't go for Corsair VS series select CX series or up.VS series r not for gaming,I got random shutdown while gaming on VS550 and now its dead.It will work fine for 2 months that's it.Its not for heavy use like gaming.

I too bought it seeing reviews and ratings.?‍♂️

My Rig

HP Omen 16 | 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700HX | 16 GB DDR5 RAM | NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4060 8 GB | 512GB PCIe Gen4 NVMe TLC M.2 SSD |

16.1-inch (40.9 cm) 1920 x 1080 165Hz | RGB Backlit Keyboard |

1 hour ago, Evilwendie413 said:

A 1060 is a 120W card and what the manufacturers is recommending is a wattage of the PSU for your whole system for a normal gaming PC, not just for the card. And they even add some extra W for to be on the safe side so not some crazy person tries to sue them.

I have a Watt-meter and I run a dual Xeon E5-2670-setup with 112 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 1060 and Vega 56 doing computations right now both on CPU and the 1060 and I am pulling about 500W from the wall with the monitor included. And those two CPU:s is good for 115W each under full load... Now i'm not loading all cores to 100% so say the draw about 90-100W each right now and the 1060 is drawing 95W fully loaded with this particular workload.

19 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

at corsairs level I would say at least the cx(m). outside of it I refer you to the psu tier list down my signature. tier c+

i went on that list and theres hardly any 500 or 550's on the c tier and the ones that are on there is around $70 to $140 besides the rosewill..

thats a pretty decent one then? id prefer the power supply be under $70 .. more likely $60- would be awesome and none mod cause i have no idea what id be doing 
i found this https://www.newegg.com/Rosewill-Power-Supplies/BrandSubCat/ID-2177-58

6 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

i went on that list and theres hardly any 500 or 550's on the c tier and the ones that are on there is around $70 to $140 besides the rosewill..

thats a pretty decent one then? id prefer the power supply be under $70 .. more likely $60- would be awesome and none mod cause i have no idea what id be doing 
i found this https://www.newegg.com/Rosewill-Power-Supplies/BrandSubCat/ID-2177-58

rosewill has some decent psus. but you should look around much lower wattagewise, i personally run a 1070 ti with a 8600k on this one, and it's 40 bucks after rebate

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817139147

43 minutes ago, Evilwendie413 said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553039&Description=gx-f&cm_re=gx-f-_-17-553-039-_-Product

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

rosewill has some decent psus. but you should look around much lower wattagewise, i personally run a 1070 ti with a 8600k on this one, and it's 40 bucks after rebate

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817139147

thanks

3 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

thanks

gonna look into these 2 and figure out which one i want