LAN Play Monitor (4) - 120hz+. Which resolution/brand/model? $750 budget per monitor

reubenahmed

Hi,

Have a custom build going to do in the next few months (building out a 4 player LAN in the basement).

Thinking I have room in the electrical panel and basement to do 8 player, but don't think I have 7 friends that play games in the area (lol) and I can't see that getting much use, even if used once a year though would be a ton of fun (think local 4v4 CTF or something).

Anyway, the machines will be 750W supplies, probably GTX 1070TI/GTX 1080/RTX 2070 given price/availability.

What monitor would you guys use for this scenario (strictly gaming)? Trying to recreate the CRT experience (low response time) and high hz. Budget probably ~$2500 for 4 monitors.

• I know Alienware has their 25" 1080p 240hz 1ms GSYNC. Maybe this is just for Counterstrike: Source, not sure what other games can hit anywhere close 240hz (even at 1080p).
  • Would you use 1080p or 1440p monitors?
  • I use an Alienware 1440p 34" at 120hz (GTX 1080) and it's beautiful
  • Don't know best graphics card combination with monitor/resolution/frequency to produce the high frames within budget (maybe this is a graphics card forum question).
    • Would play more than just FPS, but they wouldn't really be used for productivity, just gaming.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I think he's asking for 4 machines with a total budget of $2500, not one machine at $2500. He said for a 4 player LAN with possible total capacity of 8. 

OK I sorry I was not clear at ALL in my request!

$2500 budget for 4 monitors (just the monitors!). So $650 ($700 if we find good 34" deals?) per monitor is OK. I can stretch it to $3000 so we can get into 34" 1440p 120hz range.

The PC budget (another thread) was $1000 per PC, but I know I can't get some of the higher end NVidias in that range. If I look at the total project being $7000 I feel bad (lol). I don't know what monitors would fit well for what we're doing here (LAN only) at under $500, high hz, low response time - but that could free up the PC budget. I think we were running around with 1070TI at that budget.

13 minutes ago, reubenahmed said:

OK I sorry I was not clear at ALL in my request!

$2500 budget for 4 monitors (just the monitors!). So $650 ($700 if we find good 34" deals?) per monitor is OK. I can stretch it to $3000 so we can get into 34" 1440p 120hz range.

The PC budget (another thread) was $1000 per PC, but I know I can't get some of the higher end NVidias in that range. If I look at the total project being $7000 I feel bad (lol). I don't know what monitors would fit well for what we're doing here (LAN only) at under $500, high hz, low response time - but that could free up the PC budget. I think we were running around with 1070TI at that budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

boom, only 400$ each, 24 inch 1440p 165hz g sync.

thats another 900$ for your PCs, which can hopefully upgrade the GPUs to a 2070.