PSU Cable Intercompatibility

Bludude41

So I'm doing an update in my home gaming rig. Taking out the Intel i5 Z97-GTX 770 hardware set, putting it in a slightly cheaper case, buying and installing an X299-1070 Ti hardware set and putting it where my old Z97 system used to be, which is in my NZXT Source 530.  The only thing about that is, I have about 4 hard drIves, the 24 pin has cable extensions, and everything is zip-tied down in this rig.  The power supply that's currently sitting in my upgraded home rig is an EVGA NEX750B.  I bought an EVGA Supernova 750 G3 to replace the NEX750B What I'm hoping I can do is unplug all the modular cables from the PSU-end , de-route JUST the non-modular cables, and plug the Supernova G3 into the already-routed cables from the NEX750B. Is this possible, or would that blow something up?

TL;DR: Are the modular cables for the EVGA Supernova G3 and the EVGA NEX750B intercompatible? Like the SATA, Molex, and PCI-E cables?

You may have to look at wiring diagrams, or if the cables are coloured, compare them pin for pin. Almost all the time, it is recommend to replace those cables and use only the ones that came with your psu. The pinouts could be different, even from a psu that's two or three generations old from the same company and SKU. Without looking at a wiring diagram of each, we must assume the pinout is different and therefore replace the cables. Otherwise you'll create a pretty expensive mini fireworks show and ruin all the hardware.

19 minutes ago, Bludude41 said:

TL;DR: Are the modular cables for the EVGA Supernova G3 and the EVGA NEX750B intercompatible? Like the SATA, Molex, and PCI-E cables?

No.

If the cables would have been colored, you'd see that...

This way you have to take a Multimeter and measure it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Okay.  I think I saw JayzTwoCents do it in one of his videos several years ago, but I guess this is different.  It won't be the end of of the world to tear everything out. Thanks for the info, peoples!

47 minutes ago, Bludude41 said:

Okay.  I think I saw JayzTwoCents do it in one of his videos several years ago, but I guess this is different.  It won't be the end of of the world to tear everything out. Thanks for the info, peoples!

Well, there are manufacturers who standardized their modular pinout, others adopted the pinout from another manufacturer but EVGA is not one of those.

They do different pinouts on different units, so I#d not trust them to be compatible...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Well, there are manufacturers who standardized their modular pinout, others adopted the pinout from another manufacturer but EVGA is not one of those.

They do different pinouts on different units, so I#d not trust them to be compatible...

I hear ya. I just re-managed both rigs so each box has their own respective cable set. Thanks!