Altec Lansing ACS45.1

Bomberman00

Hi all...

I just been cleaning my stuff inside my computer store room. I found this speaker system the Altec Lansing ACS45.1, a 2.1 speaker with a wooden sub-woofer. I tested it and found out that it still work as good as when i bought it.(Can't remember when... it's too long ago)

My question is does anyone have a working PC speaker that is 20+ years and still working and

Is the sound better than a plastic sub-woofer casing?

Bomberman00

Subwoofers are always wooden, even on cheaper speakers. Plastic just doesn't work as it starts to rattle really quickly...

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 6:20 AM, RejZoR said:

Subwoofers are always wooden, even on cheaper speakers. Plastic just doesn't work as it starts to rattle really quickly...

thats not true i have a pair of altec lansing speakers with a plastic subwoofer and they dont rattle when i play music through them

2 minutes ago, 1240east said:

thats not true i have a pair of altec lansing speakers with a plastic subwoofer and they dont rattle when i play music through them

With any sort of high excursion driver, or high DbSpl it will.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 8 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 4:13 AM, Bomberman00 said:

Hi all...

I just been cleaning my stuff inside my computer store room. I found this speaker system the Altec Lansing ACS45.1, a 2.1 speaker with a wooden sub-woofer. I tested it and found out that it still work as good as when i bought it.(Can't remember when... it's too long ago)

My question is does anyone have a working PC speaker that is 20+ years and still working and

Is the sound better than a plastic sub-woofer casing?

Bomberman00

Hi, I have the ACS 45.1 system and it works just fine. I also have the ACS 400 system with Dolby Pro-Logic, The ACS 250 Subwoofer that compliments the system is indeed plastic and is a monster! no rattlers here.