CPU and RAM help!

Issue 1: Please help!  I got a i7 8700k @ 3.7 Ghz CPU (**Old CPU** i5 8400 @ 2.8Ghz) for Christmas and I'm not sure whether or not I need to upgrade my RAM or what RAM to get.  (**Current RAM**DDR4 2x 8 Gb 3000Mhz C15).  My load in time for some games is significantly longer since i got the new processor.

Issue 2: I believe the issue above is also not allowing me to download games properly off steam because the bit rate will drop to 0.  I don't think it is my internet because I have test downloading other games off of my Xbox and it never drops to 0 (both my PC and Xbox are connected by Ethernet).  I think this is because I need more RAM as well but I am fairly new to computer and am not sure what to do.

Any recommendations for my CPU and RAM with cost in mind would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to know all options if price is an issue.

Thank you!

Image 1.JPG

Image 2.JPG

Image 3.JPG

Image 4.JPG

Image 5.JPG

Image 6.JPG

Ram looks ok based on those screenshots. I'd suspect disk performance for the symptoms you report. Steam does some weird stuff with disk access, so it does stop downloading while it does whatever it does.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Ram looks ok based on those screenshots. I'd suspect disk performance for the symptoms you report. Steam does some weird stuff with disk access, so it does stop downloading while it does whatever it does.

Sadly the issue with steam is referring to my network, not my disk. (Although there is nothing wrong with my network).  This issue with steam has been going on for a few days to where I cant download anything within an hour or two.  Not to mention this wasn’t an issue until I put my new processor in. 

If you still have the old CPU put it back in to confirm if the CPU change caused it. I can't think of a mechanism why this would be the case, unless the cooler isn't working as intended and the CPU is throttling.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

If you still have the old CPU put it back in to confirm if the CPU change caused it. I can't think of a mechanism why this would be the case, unless the cooler isn't working as intended and the CPU is throttling.

Being that it is 3AM where I am right now. I will do that tomorrow.  Thank you for the help!

8 hours ago, porina said:

After changing out my CPUs (going from my i7 to back to the i5) my load in time for games was faster.  The issue with steam continues to be a hinderance.

How much faster? The new CPU shouldn't be slower, although there are scenarios where it can happen due to the combination of hyper-threading and Windows. New CPU in, HT off would be an interesting test to prove that.

At least you can look elsewhere for the Steam download problems.

43 minutes ago, porina said:

How much faster? The new CPU shouldn't be slower, although there are scenarios where it can happen due to the combination of hyper-threading and Windows. New CPU in, HT off would be an interesting test to prove that.

At least you can look elsewhere for the Steam download problems.

My load in time specifically for Rainbow Six: Siege on my NEW CPU is about 2-3 minutes while my old CPU is typically less than 1.  I could and try and turn off hyper threading but sadly I have to move back to college so this would be something I would try a different time.  Thank you for your help!