GPU usage is only around 45%

Ergo23
Go to solution Solved by sgloux3470,

Set a framerate cap of 144 in Fortnight.

This will remove any stuttering you might notice when the framerate fluctuates between 200 to 300 to 140 FPS.

You won't push the card to 99% in Fortnight on any CPU.  Once you start getting into the hundreds of FPS everything becomes CPU limited.  

I built my first PC last week and thanks to this website and Linus Tech Tips channel I've learned a lot, however I have a problem that I'm not sure how to fix.

My Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @3.8 ghz, 60 degrees when gaming

GPU: GTX 1070 @ 2000 mhz core and 4,450 mhz memory at around 65 degrees when gaming

Motherboard: MSI B450m Gaming Plus

Ram: 1x8 running at 2800 mhz

PSU: EVGA 600 W 80+ white

Fortnite is running on SSD

Tombraider is running on HDD

My case is well cooled

When I run Fortnite I get around 140-300 fps depending on where I am and what I am doing However my GPU reaches around 45-50% usage while my CPU is at round 30-38% usage. On Shadow of the Tomb Raider I have 99% GPU usage and 43-47% CPU usage and the game runs very smooth at max settings.

Things I've Tried:

I changed the power usage from Balanced to High Performance

I changed my Nvidia Power management mode to prefer maximum power ( This helped increase my GPU usage around 10 percent for Fortnite and 30 for Tomb raider reaching its max.)

I also checked to see if i had HPET enabled but when I checked on bios it didn't show me an option for it while others had it in the exact same place I was looking. I searched and found out some people saying that some motherboards don't have the option. I opened up CMD as administrator and enabled HPET, restarted my PC, then disabled and restarted my pc. I checked fortnite and Tomb raider however I did not notice a difference, I believe this was because HPET was already off.

This is my predicament. Hope I didn't miss anything. I would like to increase my GPU usage to the maximum when playing Fortnite so I am able to get the highest performance. Thank you in advance.

In my opinion you won't be able to max out your gpu with fortnite.

It is just not that demanding. As for example you won't be able to max out your gpu with cs:go because it's an older title and it doesn't need anywhere near the performance of a 1070 to run 200-300 fps.

But if you really just want to max out your gpu (won't get more fps) try running the game in dynamic super resolution. That will surely max out anything you have.

You'll likely have 1 of your CPU cores maxed out and that'll be the bottleneck. You should also get a second stick of RAM ASAP for dual-channel memory you're losing a lot of performance with only 1 stick.

This will remove any stuttering you might notice when the framerate fluctuates between 200 to 300 to 140 FPS.

You won't push the card to 99% in Fortnight on any CPU.  Once you start getting into the hundreds of FPS everything becomes CPU limited.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

3 hours ago, Gege said:

It is just not that demanding. As for example you won't be able to max out your gpu with cs:go because it's an older title and it doesn't need anywhere near the performance of a 1070 to run 200-300 fps.

But if you really just want to max out your gpu (won't get more fps) try running the game in dynamic super resolution. That will surely max out anything you have.

I found out that with the graphics settings I use in fortnite I get 60% GPU usage however if I max out those settings and upscale the resolution my GPU maxes out its percentage. So you are correct thank you for the response :D.

3 hours ago, Gege said:

Thank you for the help :D.

3 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

Oh that makes a lot of sense, I noticed when I increased to 4k and increased my graphics the gpu reached its maximum. Thank you for the response.

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

You'll likely have 1 of your CPU cores maxed out and that'll be the bottleneck. You should also get a second stick of RAM ASAP for dual-channel memory you're losing a lot of performance with only 1 stick.

I checked the CPU cores and they were doing fine, the two other replies i got said that Fortnite isn't taxing enough on the GPU for it to reach 100% and I believe that is the case because once i changed my res to 4k and put up my graphics i reached max GPU usage. I was limited in my Budget and I also need a 144hz monitor so I had to cut costs somewhere but yea soon as I am able to upgrade, ill get an extra stick of ram. Thanks for the response :D.