New Project

Laftpig

Older guy learning something new. Never had much use for a computer and only purchased a couple from Dell. I’m now using the computer more than ever and want to try and build one myself. I have many parts, from two lightening damaged Dell XPS computers. My present computer is a $200.00 HP eBay special. It works for now and serves my purpose. I have read many articles on building a computer so that’s my present challenge, including what to do with my recent purchase of a 20 pound beef shoulder roast; what to do?

I will list all the parts I have purchased and a collection of used Dell parts I doing to try and use. If the used parts don’t work I quess things will get more expensive. The new parts I purchased where chosen on price and recommend articles. Haven’t received any of them as of yet. Thanks TY

so... what do you need us for? to tell you if it works together? to troubleshoot any of the machines? or to help you build a nice new machine?

btw, Welcome to the forum

Right now I have a bunch of parts taken from lightning damaged computers. The only thing I know that aren’t damaged are the hard drives. My new parts will be arriving at different times next week. Before I do anything I’m going to ask for advise before proceeding. Like will I damage the new motherboard if I install defective CPU, Ram, SSD? Will the Dell SSD work in the new motherboard or will it only work on a Dell motherboard? 

So to answer your question I will need help building a new computer and getting it running.

Thanks for the welcome! TY

You wont damage your motherboard if you install a defective cpu, but if for example you plug things into the wrong places, like fan headers, you can damage parts, so be careful and verify which cables go where, and how to route them through the back and with shrouds. The dell SSD is most likely a sata m.2 drive, so you should be able to install it on the boards m.2 slot. Are you planning to install a graphics card? If so, it is possible that the graphics card can cover the m.2 slot, causing problems for the ssd. 

I probably can't explain everything on how to build a PC, and probably could mess up myself, so I recommend watching a guide to help you through it. Like this one -How to build a PC step-by-step -. If you either are having problems or need information more specific to your build, you can ask the forum.

I have a graphics card, NVIDA Gforce GT730, from damaged computer. I believe my new motherboard has built in graphics. Not sure what is better GT730 or the onboard one. The motherboard has two m.2 slots so hopefully that won’t be a problem. What I want to do is get the computer up and running before investing to much. Right now the new purchased parts are at about $200.00. 

First off you need to list all of your parts..and once it arrived then tell us your problem.

Its kinda impossible to guess if you didn't provide enough information..

and use quote so people can get a notification..

But its better to create a new thread once you're ready.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore