Advice required

So i have this MSI GE72 2QE Apache laptop( https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE72-2QE-Apache/Specification ) just laying around, with a dead GPU.

Since it's out of warranty, MSI agreed to repair this unit, but at a deadly cost of a thousand euro's, wich frankly i dont have lying around.

Now i have seen refurbished replacements(for the Nvidia M965), wich are said to fit in my laptop, and these back then would cost around 270 euro's.

Would that be advisable?

Its a decent laptop and it performed very well with recent titles, and it feels shitty to see it collect dust, while i could let my friends play with it when they come over.

Thanks for reading,

Danny

Overall generally not worth it because so many things can go wrong with Nvidia Laptop GPU's. Youd have to pretty much get the exact gpu that fits and has the same powerdraw and everything as voltage is tight on a laptop like it.

@Shimejii So basically its garbage? salvage the SSD's and ram, and throw it out? maybe the cpu? didnt linus do a vid about a CPU bracket that would make laptop cpu's work on regular boards? xD

Thanks for the fast reply btw!

Sorry, but the cost of a new laptop is less than what they want to repair.  Laptops these days are just not cost-effective to repair.  Not when you can buy a new laptop at a place like Walmart or Target (CaliMexifornia) for $199.00 USD.  Of course these are the bottom of the line laptops but it is a place to start looking.  No telling what you can find on Ebay or Amazon these days.

4 minutes ago, Diraiba said:

@Shimejii So basically its garbage? salvage the SSD's and ram, and throw it out? maybe the cpu? didnt linus do a vid about a CPU bracket that would make laptop cpu's work on regular boards? xD

Thanks for the fast reply btw!

Its never garbage, its just a royal pain to take everything apart, making sure Everything gets reconnected, and finding out oops the gpu you got also doesnt work or isnt compatible.

SSD's are salvagable, Not sure about Ram and the other parts, you can always salvage and sell to a local shop or w/e

imo worth repairing on your own depending on the cost of gpu (it might be even possible getting better gpu for it, look at my signature that laptop came with ATI 5870)

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB