Computer Science Labtop

Flowey

Alright I'm looking for a labtop which is gonna be used mostly for coding and stuff, I'm gonna need recommendations regarding what brands I should be looking. I'll be using it for at least 2 years, I might want to dabble into dual-booting with Linux at some point, and I'll need something in the 15 inch form factor. What are the most reliable brands? Budget is about 1300-1400 CAN$

Thks!

Basically every PC is going to be good for coding, starting from used and old 150€ thinkpads (If you will just use Linux they don't have compatibility issues) to the most today modern expensive one, generally thinkpads have a better keyboard imo for programming, and you may also like old thinkpads as they got the same one but that's more like a personal preference, if you really need 15 inch I would be looking for the modern ones
There are some 4:3  thinkpads as well always personally can be better for just coding usage

2 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Basically every PC is going to be good for coding, starting from used and old 150€ thinkpads (If you will just use Linux they don't have compatibility issues) to the most today modern expensive one, generally thinkpads have a better keyboard imo for programming, and you may also like old thinkpads as they got the same one but that's more like a personal preference, if you really need 15 inch I would be looking for the modern ones
There are some 4:3  thinkpads as well always personally can be better for just coding usage

Dude I was literally about to ask about thinkpad keyboard, always felt much better, think I'll go with that.

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Dude I was literally about to ask about thinkpad keyboard, always felt much better, think I'll go with that.

They have something that makes writing programs less frustrating, probably the consistent key travel

I use a $200 Chromebook (with Linux) as my mobile machine at school and that can handle most tasks I need. With that budget I would just go to a computer store to get your hands on a couple laptops to see what you like. I have found portability, quality, and battery life much more important than raw performance in computer science.

You may also want to consider an older model too btw ^ 

I don't know if in 2018/2019 this have changed, I used only old thinkpads in my life

9 hours ago, Flowey said:

What are the most reliable brands? Budget is about 1300-1400 CAN$

No brand is reliable, it depends on luck, which model and how you keep it

Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128