Mixing Ram

Good Afternoon Everyone,

So i keep finding conflicting info on this one and need some advice.

My wife's PC is consistently running out of ram, (she plays 2 instances of EQ2 at once, and keeps tons of chrome tabs and music playing) all at the same time.

Originally was 8gbs of DDR3 1600 gskill standard 

I cannot get larger amounts of the 1600 standard F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ but i did get my hands on F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL awhile back which runs at 1866.

So running in dual channel i should be able to do 12gb at 1600mhz or 8gb at 1866mhz, Since she was running out of ram at the 8gb i think it would be best to do the 12gb right?

I would get another 8 gigs, if possible at the same speed and latency... but you could also just downclock it

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would get another 8 gigs, if possible at the same speed and latency... but you could also just downclock it

yeah i cant afford to buy anything just going with what i have around the house right now. She hasnt used this PC since 2015 and i just need it to get her through for now. its an i7-860. She really needs an SSd upgrade before i do anything else.

Just now, Tizzle128 said:

yeah i cant afford to buy anything just going with what i have around the house right now. She hasnt used this PC since 2015 and i just need it to get her through for now. its an i7-860. She really needs an SSd upgrade before i do anything else.

well, if you already have it, i don't see why not

is it a x58 mobo? just out of curiousity

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, if you already have it, i don't see why not

is it a x58 mobo? just out of curiousity

Its a Asrock p55de3 MB max of 16gb 4x4gb slots, currently i have it set for the 2gb sticks in slots 1 and 3 and the 4gb sticks in slots 2 and 4 and mb all 4 sticks running at 1600mhz