Warped Vinyl

Hey guys

I just recently moved and as i was unpacking my records, i decided to listen to one and i noticed it was warped on the edge in one spot. i tried out another record and it was the same, and so far every record i have tried has the same warped spot, some far more then others. some of them play fine and the needle only wiggles but some of them, like the one in this video, skip back and forth. So somehow in the box they must have been sitting on its side or something? I'm not sure really what would have caused this kind of warping.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had experience with sort of thing, and could recommend a fix for it. I have read up the whole squish it with books, warm it up under low heat and then squish it, ive read up people use irons and a little bit of steam through a very dense material.

Just wanted to know what methods any of you guys recommend or have done with which degree of success before i ruin my records experimenting my self

It is from storing them. Heat/cold and sitting in the same spot for long periods of time just flattens it out in a flat spot, kinda like car tires if you leave it for a year, they become flat in one spot.

Do the records still play fine? No skipping? Vinyl records will always warp a tiny bit over the years. If it's warped in the middle, they were just stored flat for too long with a stack of records on top of them. No big deal. 

If it doesn't affect the audio quality/playback, don't worry about it.

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

It is from storing them. Heat/cold and sitting in the same spot for long periods of time just flattens it out in a flat spot, kinda like car tires if you leave it for a year, they become flat in one spot.

Do the records still play fine? No skipping? Vinyl records will always warp a tiny bit over the years. If it's warped in the middle, they were just stored flat for too long with a stack of records on top of them. No big deal. 

If it doesn't affect the audio quality/playback, don't worry about it.

once it is out of the effected area, which seems to be only on one edge and the beginning of the first track, its fine.

some of them are okay and have now issue, i can only identify the spot because the needle wiggle a little in that area, others like the one in this video are far worse and this is what they do: 

Oh yeah that's no good. Looks like there was a significant amount of weight in that particular spot. It shouldn't slide like that at all.

6 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Oh yeah that's no good. Looks like there was a significant amount of weight in that particular spot. It shouldn't slide like that at all.

yeah i thought it was kind of strange, normally when i associate warped records its the entire record that is warped, like if you have one at the end of your shelf and it has the weight of the rest of the records on them, it flexes the entire record.

this seems like it was squished in the box during the move, or maybe it was on its side and the vibrations of the moving truck, not sure.

strange thing is, the box was not damaged at all. as for my normal storage on the shelf, they are only in groups of 20 and supported on the shelf

yea vinyl records are like the old vinyl tires like they used to use on motor homes...the longer they sit it ends up a flat spot on the bottom...im not sure if warming up the records will fix it like it does with the vinyl tires....