Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAM problem?

 Share

Hello guys i need your wisdom to solve a strange problem.

So i just bought 32gb of ram and activate the xmp profile on mobo and joined some csgo and boom, game crash to desktop. Strange, re-join and again game crash.

I went to bios and switched xmp profile to auto and join the game and no crash.

I also removed 2 Sticks of ram and activated xmp profile and game works fine.

So, guys what do you think the problem is? Its Ram or mobo? I read somewere someone had relates problema and it was a psu problem.

 

My system is:

i7 8700k

asus Maximus hero x

32gb kingston predator rgb 3200ghz

1080 ti

nzxt kraken x52

thermaltake rgb 750w 80+ gold

1x M.2

1x SSD

1x HDD

6x fans

 

what do you guys think? Do i need a new psu?

Apreciate help

thanks guys and sory for bad inglish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two likely causes:

  1. You have to slightly lower the memory speed or loosen timings or increase VCCIO in order to be stable with 4 DIMMs. More sticks and more ranks cause additional stress on the IMC.
  2. You purchased two 2x kits instead of one 4x kit, and the two individual kits have slightly different timings or sub-timings. Verify using the SPD tab in CPU-Z. If there are differences, switch the kits around so that the slower kit is in the primary slot, as this is where the BIOS will read the XMP profile from.

Run memtest86 to make sure that you are stable after the changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, badreg said:

Two likely causes:

  1. You have to slightly lower the memory speed or loosen timings or increase VCCIO in order to be stable with 4 DIMMs. More sticks and more ranks cause additional stress on the IMC.
  2. You purchased two 2x kits instead of one 4x kit, and the two individual kits have slightly different timings or sub-timings. Verify using the SPD tab in CPU-Z. If there are differences, switch the kits around so that the slower kit is in the primary slot, as this is where the BIOS will read the XMP profile from.

Run memtest86 to make sure that you are stable after the changes.

I bought 4 single sticks of ram because i didn’t find any kits of 2x or 4x. What should i do in this case?

 

you mention i need to lower speed ram. But i bought a 3200mhz not a lower one.

 

so, you think its not psu related?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jornel said:

I bought 4 single sticks of ram because i didn’t find any kits of 2x or 4x. What should i do in this case?

 

you mention i need to lower speed ram. But i bought a 3200mhz not a lower one.

 

so, you think its not psu related?

No, it's not your PSU. You can run RAM at whatever speed you want, despite what it says on the sticker.

 

Buying four individual sticks is not a good idea, and this is what can happen when you run mismatched memory. Follow the steps that I suggested above. Start by identifying the slowest stick and put that in the primary slot. For most motherboards, it is the second closest slot to the CPU, but consult your manual to make sure. Then, apply XMP and manually set the memory speed to something more conservative (like 2800Mhz). Next, run memtest86. If you pass without any errors, then bump the speed one step at a time until you see errors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, badreg said:

No, it's not your PSU. You can run RAM at whatever speed you want, despite what it says on the sticker.

 

Buying four individual sticks is not a good idea, and this is what can happen when you run mismatched memory. Follow the steps that I suggested above. Start by identifying the slowest stick and put that in the primary slot. For most motherboards, it is the second closest slot to the CPU, but consult your manual to make sure. Then, apply XMP and manually set the memory speed to something more conservative (like 2800Mhz). Next, run memtest86. If you pass without any errors, then bump the speed one step at a time until you see errors.

Thank you man. I Will return the ram, because i just buy them yesterday and switch them for real 4x sticks and Cross fingers to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×