External graphics card

Professor Chibanga

hey guys, i am in a weird situation, i move a lot which sucks and makes me not be able to own a proper desktop, i currently own a gaming laptop, its more like an easy portable computer, its too big to be on the lap :)  its getting kinda old 970M and i74710MQ. in order to ugrade i had an idea, instead of spending 2k on a new "gaming laptop" i had the ideo of spending around 1k for a cheaper gaming laptop with performance at least like my current one for when im traveling and having an external graphics card to plug in and make it a proper machine with like a 2080 ou 1080ti when im at home, would it be possible ? any recomendations ? the budget would be arround 1700 maybe a bit more. open to sugestions! thanks in advance 

Just now, Swes said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C/ref=lp_8588812011_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546648568&sr=1-1

something like this then whatever external box takes your fancy?  recommend at least a 1060. I dont see a 1050 really holding up especially in a year or 2

That won't work with a egpu, there is no thunderbolt.

I would suggest selling the laptop you have and just getting a new one. That processor will bottleneck a 2080 and a 1080ti. Not to mention all the components in your laptop are aged significantly. External GPU enclosures are crazy expensive for what they are as well so in my opinion it's not worth it especially when it'll be bottlednecked. 

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That won't work with a egpu, there is no thunderbolt.

Good catch, my intention was to say something of those specs if they were to follow through they would have to sort out their preference

6 minutes ago, Cigano said:

I would suggest selling the laptop you have and just getting a new one. That processor will bottleneck a 2080 and a 1080ti. Not to mention all the components in your laptop are aged significantly. External GPU enclosures are crazy expensive for what they are as well so in my opinion it's not worth it especially when it'll be bottlednecked. 

We dont even know what CPU he will have... hes talking about buying a new laptop too.

Just now, Swes said:

We dont even know what CPU he will have... hes talking about buying a new laptop too.

i'm just and idiot and didn't read the whole thing I assumed he meant he was just going to plug an external GPU into his old laptop. 

2 minutes ago, Cigano said:

i'm just and idiot and didn't read the whole thing I assumed he meant he was just going to plug an external GPU into his old laptop. 

my old doesnt have a thuinderbolt and that seems to be the biggest issue, i thought it would be easy to find a decente gaming laptop with one, its not

28 minutes ago, Swes said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C/ref=lp_8588812011_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546648568&sr=1-1

something like this then whatever external box takes your fancy?  recommend at least a 1060. I dont see a 1050 really holding up especially in a year or 2

that would be the plan yeah, something like that but no thundebolt no party, even if it has one is it just plug-in ?

13 minutes ago, Professor Chibanga said:

that would be the plan yeah, something like that but no thundebolt no party, even if it has one is it just plug-in ?

I think you might have to do some bios fidgeting but its not difficult as far as i understand just make sure you have true thunderbolt