Monitor resolution on Nintendo Switch

Thenelwave

So I built my first PC and purchased this monitor

https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/monitors/monitor-ue570-lu28e570dsen/

Now when on my display output with my PC the resolution is fine because I change the resolution on the PC to the monitors maximum output ( 4K ). But when I change to HDMI so I can play my Nintendo Switch the image does not look as sharp/clear/vivid as it should because the monitor is trying to display the image in its 4k resolution... I cant find a way to change the resolution to 1080p while im in HDMI1-2. When I use my nintendo switch with my Samsung 4K tv I dont have this problem. I'm not sure if I have to buy a different monitor or if there is a way around this.

anyone know?

8 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Your Switch is upscaling from 1080p to 3840x2160, or do you mean something else?

I'm a newbie when it comes to all this but yes when I go from PC output (which looks awesome) and switch to HDMI2 where I have my Nintendo switch it tells me to change the resolution on my switch to 3840 x 2160 but obviously the Switch only goes up to 1080P. But on my 4K Tv the Nintendo Switch looks fine. So I just need help figuring out how to fix that.

Just now, Thenelwave said:

I'm a newbie when it comes to all this but yes when I go from PC output (which looks awesome) and switch to HDMI2 where I have my Nintendo switch it tells me to change the resolution on my switch to 3840 x 2160 but obviously the Switch only goes up to 1080P. But on my 4K Tv the Nintendo Switch looks fine. So I just need help figuring out how to fix that.

Oh, your monitor is telling you to set your Switch to 2160p?

Does the Switch itself display on your monitor?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Oh, your monitor is telling you to set your Switch to 2160p?

Does the Switch itself display on your monitor?

Yes the Switch displays fine on my monitor, it just doesn't look sharp like it does on my 4K tv which is twice the size as my monitor.

1 minute ago, Thenelwave said:

Yes the Switch displays fine on my monitor, it just doesn't look sharp like it does on my 4K tv which is twice the size as my monitor.

Oh. Just mess with monitor settings until you feel that it looks okay to you.

It's never going to look completely sharp as, well, you're upscaling from one resolution to another; but you can make it look decent.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That might be hard. Your tv has will upscale the 1080p video to 4K, but your monitor won't That's why it looks sharper on your tv. The Switch outputs at 1080p so I doubt it will do any upscaling itself so the image is just blown up to fit. You could probably find an upscaler off Amazon. I did read somewhere about someone using their Xbox One X to upscale the Switch to 4k. 

There's multiple possibilities here. The Switch outputs a 1080p signal, but now all games are 1080p. They can be rendered at lower resolutions such as 720p. For example, Doom is rendered at 612p even when docked, so it will be original game resolution > upscaled to 1080p by Switch if not running in 1080p > upscaled to 2160p by TV/monitor.

Also what your TV is doing, is most likely upscaling and post-processing (unless you activate some sort of game mode, which skips most of this usually). It could also be your monitor isn't doing any upscaling at all, I think, and just scales pixels, using 4 pixels for what normally would be one pixel. 1080p at >27" isn't the sharpest in my opinion.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, Inelastic said:

That might be hard. Your tv has will upscale the 1080p video to 4K, but your monitor won't That's why it looks sharper on your tv. The Switch outputs at 1080p so I doubt it will do any upscaling itself so the image is just blown up to fit. You could probably find an upscaler off Amazon. I did read somewhere about someone using their Xbox One X to upscale the Switch to 4k. 

I see, are there any 4K monitors out there that can upscale well ? At the $300 price range? The monitor looks amazing when playing 4K games on PC just sucks for the Switch.

How will an upscaler off amazon work ? Sorry for the dumb questions

1 hour ago, tikker said:

There's multiple possibilities here. The Switch outputs a 1080p signal, but now all games are 1080p. They can be rendered at lower resolutions such as 720p. For example, Doom is rendered at 612p even when docked, so it will be original game resolution > upscaled to 1080p by Switch if not running in 1080p > upscaled to 2160p by TV/monitor.

Also what your TV is doing, is most likely upscaling and post-processing (unless you activate some sort of game mode, which skips most of this usually). It could also be your monitor isn't doing any upscaling at all, I think, and just scales pixels, using 4 pixels for what normally would be one pixel. 1080p at >27" isn't the sharpest in my opinion.

Can you take a look at my monitor ? And possibly help me find one comparable in price that upscales ? Or shoukd I just keep my switch connected to my tv

16 minutes ago, Thenelwave said:

I see, are there any 4K monitors out there that can upscale well ? At the $300 price range? The monitor looks amazing when playing 4K games on PC just sucks for the Switch.

How will an upscaler off amazon work ? Sorry for the dumb questions

Do keep in mind that playing on 4k, as in actually setting the game to 4k resolution, will naturally look better than upscaled content, because it's actually delivering 4k images. Also, TVs (can) do a bunch of things: upscale, sharpening and other forms of image enhancements.

Monitors don't do any of this, including thus upscaling, mainly because upscaling or scaling (stretching) the image to fit the screen will distort it. They are made to display what you feed them. You don't want some sort of post-processing to change e.g. the appearance of your artwork.

1080p just so happens to fit four times in 2160p, so it will just double everything, but for example, when I connected my Wii U (720p output) to my 1080p display it just put black bars around it, as there is nothing outside it.

I'd stick with the TV. Besides maybe reduced input lag and faster pixels response, there's nothing really gained from a monitor I think. Usually I think of monitors being designed to give you the most accurate representation of what's on screen and TVs to give you the best looking representation of it, even if that means post-processing the hell out of it. For games arguably you'd want the latter :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB