Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help With Upgraded Network Speed

AhhhhhThatsHot
 Share

So I finally made the jump to 1 gig. (ISP sent a guy out, installed new Arris TG3452 modem) The problem is that I’m not getting anywhere near 1 gig. The best I’ve been able to achieve so far is around 280 by plugging a laptop directly into the modem with Cat 5e. Over wireless I’m getting about 50-60. The internet/home phone comes into the house through coaxial. When I log into the modem online it says I’m getting 1 gig. When I go on my pc it also says 1 gig is coming through the cable when I look at Ethernet property’s. My pc is capable of 1 gig. My pc is connected through modem into router then router into power line then power line into switch then switch to pc. (Switch and power line all support 1 gig, Cat 5e) I only get around 40s on my pc. When I plugged the laptop into the router instead of the modem it only got around 40s. And when I plugged my pc into the modem I got around 1s. (LOL) I’m confused as to how it is fluctuating so much between devices and why. Is there any way to increase my network speed closer to what it should be? Thanks. 

 

(Also the router is a crappy apple air port extreme that is from late 2011. (I’ve always hated the thing and I desperately need to get a new one I know) Also the power line is TPLink and supports 1 gig. The switch is TrendNet and also supports 1 gig)

 

Thank you once again for any help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a cat6 / cat6e lan cables, i dont know if it helps, won't hurt to try.

40-50mbps with wifi is normal on a N devices, if your device don't support wifi AC, then you won't getting anymore bandwidth.

1gbps is the theoretical speed, many factors that dictates the bandwidth, such as the neighborhood traffic (if it is shared).

Or maybe your device / pc component doesn't support that much bandwidth, have you tried transfering a file from each devices, through local network only? 

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AhhhhhThatsHot said:

So I finally made the jump to 1 gig. (ISP sent a guy out, installed new Arris TG3452 modem) The problem is that I’m not getting anywhere near 1 gig. The best I’ve been able to achieve so far is around 280 by plugging a laptop directly into the modem with Cat 5e. Over wireless I’m getting about 50-60. The internet/home phone comes into the house through coaxial. When I log into the modem online it says I’m getting 1 gig. When I go on my pc it also says 1 gig is coming through the cable when I look at Ethernet property’s. My pc is capable of 1 gig. My pc is connected through modem into router then router into power line then power line into switch then switch to pc. (Switch and power line all support 1 gig, Cat 5e) I only get around 40s on my pc. When I plugged the laptop into the router instead of the modem it only got around 40s. And when I plugged my pc into the modem I got around 1s. (LOL) I’m confused as to how it is fluctuating so much between devices and why. Is there any way to increase my network speed closer to what it should be? Thanks. 

 

(Also the router is a crappy apple air port extreme that is from late 2011. (I’ve always hated the thing and I desperately need to get a new one I know) Also the power line is TPLink and supports 1 gig. The switch is TrendNet and also supports 1 gig)

 

Thank you once again for any help.

So you getting 40 on your PC is predictable because you use a powerline. Powerlines aren't quite the best solution for latency or bandwidth. Also your "modem" is a combo box, just like the apple device. You can remove the apple box and connect the Arris box directly to the switch or powerline as you wish. A modem is used on copper connections to modulate (mod) and demodulate (em) the traffic and since you are on fiber, you have no modem. Then I'd ask the ISP for support, cause it looks like your uplink can't handle 1gig. Also use a cat 6 cable, because cat 5e is not what you want to be using for gigabit anyway, even if theoretically supports it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

So you getting 40 on your PC is predictable because you use a powerline. Powerlines aren't quite the best solution for latency or bandwidth. Also your "modem" is a combo box, just like the apple device. You can remove the apple box and connect the Arris box directly to the switch. A modem is used on copper connections to modulate (mod) and demodulate (em) the traffic and since you are on fiber, you have no modem. Then I'd ask the ISP for support, cause it looks like your uplink can't handle 1gig. Also use a cat 6 cable, because cat 5e is not what you want to be using for gigabit anyway, even if theoretically supports it. 

I removed the apple router and set up a new network on the combo box earlier today but it fucked up all my smart home shit and I didn’t feel like setting everything up again so I decided to go back on the apple router until I buy a new one. I can try a Cat6 cable and see if anything improves but I’m probably going to end up contacting my ISP tomorrow. We are doing a lot of home renovations right now so I plan on running Ethernet straight up the wall to my pc at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AhhhhhThatsHot said:

I removed the apple router and set up a new network on the combo box earlier today but it fucked up all my smart home shit and I didn’t feel like setting everything up again so I decided to go back on the apple router until I buy a new one. I can try a Cat6 cable and see if anything improves but I’m probably going to end up contacting my ISP tomorrow. We are doing a lot of home renovations right now so I plan on running Ethernet straight up the wall to my pc at some point.

that is good. Just another thing, if you replace the apple box, it'll mess up your smart home appliances anyway. Why do you need to connect a combo box to another combo box. makes no sense to me. if anything, add a dedicated access point. An access point only creates a Wifi connection. I'd use one of these:ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_lr_us_802_11ac_

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had something like this with my pc, With their verification software all my hardware should work with no issues yet my speed was horrible. The never brought a test pc/laptop to hook directly to the modem to verify the speeds.

2 weeks later after running test after test and even taking my pc to a friends that had fiber and was getting the speeds I changed my network card and it is fixed. 

I believe anytime you get fiber they should have a test pc to verify the speed to keep you from spending all your time trying to figure it out yourself, just lazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×