Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two GPUs for Different Tasks?

TwelvePointFive

Hey LTT community!

I currently am running a Ryzen 5 1600 paired with an RX 580 8GB, which drives a 1080p 144hz FreeSync monitor and a 1080p 60hz standard monitor.

Sometimes I'd like to have a video playing or something else on my second screen while I'm playing a game on the first one. The issue here is that since Ryzen doesn't have an integrated GPU, the RX 580 has to both push the game and second monitor out. In games where I'm maxing out my GPU or getting close to it, this can cause black screens/windows, heavy frame loss, or other weird display issues on my second screen while also hurting game performance on the first.

I have a GTX 660 laying around, and I was thinking of putting it into the system to be used as an "iGPU" to run basic stuff and handle my second screen/whatever else I'm doing while the RX 580 focuses on the game.

Would this make sense to do, and would I just have to plug the second screen into the 660, or would I have to go through a whole process of setting a default GPU for each program depending on how I want it to be run? Thanks everyone, hope this made sense!

That behavior is really strange. I have had my gpu at max load and ran videos on a other monitor just fine. The only time I have had issue with doing that is when it was my cpu being to heavily loaded.  

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That behavior is really strange. I have had my gpu at max load and ran videos on a other monitor just fine. The only time I have had issue with doing that is when it was my cpu being to heavily loaded.  

Really? I had no idea it was strange. But at the same time, it makes sense that the experience would suffer if the GPU can't handle everything properly.

Unless you've got an Intel processor with in iGPU, in which case you should not have the same issue anyways since that can handle videos and whatnot.

1 minute ago, TwelvePointFive said:

Really? I had no idea it was strange. But at the same time, it makes sense that the experience would suffer if the GPU can't handle everything properly.

Unless you've got an Intel processor with in iGPU, in which case you should not have the same issue anyways since that can handle videos and whatnot.

Nope I have had mostly AMD cpus without an igpu and various diffrent gpus over the years and none of them did that for. The gpu being under full load. Normally what would happen is my in game fps might go down just a tad.