problem with music CD

Tiwaz

Hey guys!

So I just received a music CD of one of my favourite musicians and the CD/disc itself works fine if i play it on my pc or Hi-Fi station. The problem I have is, that I cant copy the sound files from the disc on the PC so i can listen to them from my phone which kind of destroys the whole purpose of the cd because thats the only way i usually listen to music. Whenever i copy th files from the disc each file only contains 1KB of data and doesnt represent any sound.

I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. I just want to copy the music from the disc to my pc and phone for private use, just so that this is clear.

thanks in advance,

Tiwaz

This is copyright protection. You need an mp3 ripper. I believe iTunes even has one built in. 

You arent doing anything illegal based on the scenario you’ve explained. 

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

This is copyright protection. You need an mp3 ripper. I believe iTunes even has one built in. 

You arent doing anything illegal based on the scenario you’ve explained. 

thanks for the help, any other program i could use?

nvm just found out Windows MEdia player has the option to copy the songs from the CD and i am trying that out

PS: i was wrong windows media player cant finish copying a single song

I have a few that I try. First is 123DVDCopyDVD, The nest is Nero and Audacity, and if that dosent work then I use a old version of Cool Edit Pro. There is a ton of programs out there to ripping cd's. if you cant rip it and you have a way to plug in a cd player then i would try that as well.

17 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

PS: i was wrong windows media player cant finish copying a single song

Your disc might have an encryption that is too new. Umm it's been a while since I've had to do this, but you are right, WMP also has the capacity to rip mp3's from a disc.

Try this... https://www.audiograbber.org/

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Your disc might have an encryption that is too new. Umm it's been a while since I've had to do this, but you are right, WMP also has the capacity to rip mp3's from a disc.

Try this... https://www.audiograbber.org/

thanks for the help, but after the 2nd try it worked with Windows MEdia Player fortunately :) Also the disc doesnt seem to be that new because on windows the date of creation of the disc's files have the date "5.12.1995"

43 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

thanks for the help, but after the 2nd try it worked with Windows MEdia Player fortunately :) Also the disc doesnt seem to be that new because on windows the date of creation of the disc's files have the date "5.12.1995"

Glad it worked!

That surprises me because there wasn't much encryption on music CDs back in the 90's. You could easily copy a wav file from a disc to your PC ?‍♂️

Because an audio-cd does not have a 'file system' as such, computers interpret the track index as 'files'. There are drivers that automaticlly convert the tracks to wave files, but that is not standard behaviour. So, it is not 'encryption' as much as 'design'.

5 hours ago, 4 Fawkes Ache said:

Because an audio-cd does not have a 'file system' as such, computers interpret the track index as 'files'. There are drivers that automaticlly convert the tracks to wave files, but that is not standard behaviour. So, it is not 'encryption' as much as 'design'.

CDs use a file type called CDA that needs a player (either a physical one or a compatible program on a computer) to be able to read them. I use VLC player and Media Monkey. WMP (Windows Media Player) also can read them but I never liked that program. Read more on it here. Btw, I haven't seen DRM, or other less insidious forms of copy protection, used on CDs since Sony used the infamous rootkits back in 2005 or therebouts (that raised one heckuva stink and Sony dropped it like a hot potato).

You can also use a variety of programs to rip CDAs from a CD, converting them to a variety of audio formats, such as .wave (uncompressed), mp3 (lossy compression), FLAC (lossless compression), etc. The best I've run into for that is EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but it is a bit tricky to learn how to set it up. Fortunately, there are many BoobTube Youtube videos telling how to set it up. It's easy once you know how (btw, don't bother with FreeDB to get track information unless you don't have the original CD jacket; more times than not, the information uploaded to FreeDB comes from idiots that don't the difference between a composer and an artist and often get other details wrong).

I have all my CDs (almost 600) ripped to both .wav and .mp3. Before anyone jumps all over me for using .mp3, I rip mine at an insane 320kbps sample rate (in fact, Media Monkey actually calls it insane). I can't hear the difference between .mp3s ripped at 320kbps and .wav files. I rip to .wav files since they have no compression and I can always convert them to another format later without a loss of music quality if I ever stop using .mp3s. I've stayed with .mp3s because at the time I started ripping CDs, that was the only compressed format that most physical players, like the one in my F150 could play. I could fit up to five hours music onto a single burned CD instead of only one hour with original CDs. Now, converting all those albums to a smaller, lossless file format would be a lot of work, a job I'm not willing to tackle unless I'm forced to by a new player that can't play .mp3 files.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!