Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fan replacement recommendations?

m9x3mos

Hello all,

I just finished building my i9-9900k build in the Fractal Design R6 case. I have the H115i liquid cooler that does a good job cooling the CPU mounted to the front of the case with exhaust out the back.Seems right now that I have a bit of a neutral balance of flow at the moment and would like to get more of a positive pressure in the case. I don't really feel that much incoming flow through the rad even when those fans are maxed out at 1000 rpms. I would like to replace those with new fans and was wondering what your recommendations for that would be. Looking over the options on New Egg and there are a lot to pick from and I am not 100% sure what I would be looking at. The Noctua A14s look pretty good. Not sure if just anything that goes up to 2000 rpm would just be a better option or what would be best for that application.

The Noctua A14s and Corsair ML fans are great choices here for noise and static pressure. But truthfully, if you have no thermal issues on the build, just add a fan or 2 on the top of the case blowing down to increase airflow in the case as well as give airflow over the VRMs too. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yeah, the VRMs seem to stay surprisingly cool. I have the Aorus Master X390 board which has great cooling on them. The only concern I have is my GPU is getting pretty hot. Gets up to 75c under load. Though I don't know if front fans will help a lot in this case. Even with the side panel off, it only dropped by about a degree.

14 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Yeah, the VRMs seem to stay surprisingly cool. I have the Aorus Master X390 board which has great cooling on them. The only concern I have is my GPU is getting pretty hot. Gets up to 75c under load. Though I don't know if front fans will help a lot in this case. Even with the side panel off, it only dropped by about a degree.

Does opening or removing the front panel help? Are you using the stock case fans?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ahh. Thank you. I didn't know that. Lurked this forum for a long time but haven't really posted much.

I am using the fans that came with the H115i cooler. The case fan is in the back. Going to try and put one on the bottom but that might not breath well. On the front with the door open doesn't seem to make much of a difference, even if I also remove the filter. Not sure if it matters (don't think so) but I do have the fans configured in a push config rather then pull. There was nothing in the manual for the cooler about which config would be better. 

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Does opening or removing the front panel help? Are you using the stock case fans?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

24 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The Noctua A14s and Corsair ML fans are great choices here for noise and static pressure. But truthfully, if you have no thermal issues on the build, just add a fan or 2 on the top of the case blowing down to increase airflow in the case as well as give airflow over the VRMs too. 

Oops . Needed to tap the quote posts button. I will learn this forum yet >.<

It is almost like I haven't used a forum before.

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

Oops . Needed to tap the quote posts button. I will learn this forum yet >.<

It is almost like I haven't used a forum before.

no worries on that, growing pains. Reading your reply, 75c is perfectly fine for GPU temps under load honestly. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Ahh. Thank you. I didn't know that. Lurked this forum for a long time but haven't really posted much.

I am using the fans that came with the H115i cooler. The case fan is in the back. Going to try and put one on the bottom but that might not breath well. On the front with the door open doesn't seem to make much of a difference, even if I also remove the filter. Not sure if it matters (don't think so) but I do have the fans configured in a push config rather then pull. There was nothing in the manual for the cooler about which config would be better. 

Push is generally better. The case should come with 3 stock case fans. Did you remove the original front fans or are you using them in push / pull with the H115i fans?

What graphics card are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

The only concern I have is my GPU is getting pretty hot. Gets up to 75c under load.

Stronger airflow from the front could help that. I found in my case that if there isn't any horizontal airflow over the graphics card a hot air pocket can form there.
Gpu temp dropped 10C in my inwin 303 after I installed a fan that creates horizontal airflow. The 303 has vertical airflow design, though it doesn't quite work. I had a strong exhaust in the rear (NB eloop), and the card's temp kept rising, while the exhausted air wasn't getting warmer. Creating horizontal airflow was the solution.
Put another fan on the back of the radiator (as pull) so air from it flows over the card. That should boost the air just enough to clear the hot air pocket.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Push is generally better. The case should come with 3 stock case fans. Did you remove the original front fans or are you using them in push / pull with the H115i fans?

What graphics card are you using?

I did remove the stock fans for favor of the h115i fans. There is none in pull, only push. I have room I could add one back as pull but the upper one is blocked due to hard disks.

I have a 2080 in it.

5 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

Stronger airflow from the front could help that. I found in my case that if there isn't any horizontal airflow over the graphics card a hot air pocket can form there.
Gpu temp dropped 10C in my inwin 303 after I installed a fan that creates horizontal airflow. The 303 has vertical airflow design, though it doesn't quite work. I had a strong exhaust in the rear (NB eloop), and the card's temp kept rising, while the exhausted air wasn't getting warmer. Creating horizontal airflow was the solution.
Put another fan on the back of the radiator (as pull) so air from it flows over the card. That should boost the air just enough to clear the hot air pocket.

Going to try that tonight as I have the case fan I can use and the space to put it. I'll probably start by just setting it to max on the motherboard. I think the board can also control speed based on pcie 16 temps.

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

I did remove the stock fans for favor of the h115i fans. There is none in pull, only push. I have room I could add one back as pull but the upper one is blocked due to hard disks.

I have a 2080 in it.

The lower fan in pull is probably more beneficial for the graphics card anyway and adding the stock case fans back would be better than not using them at all. The second case fan can be mounted at the bottom for intake if you don't have cables or drives in the way. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The lower fan in pull is probably more beneficial for the graphics card anyway and adding the stock case fans back would be better than not using them at all. The second case fan can be mounted at the bottom for intake if you don't have cables or drives in the way. 

That space is pretty open. I probably could put one there too. Just would need to use some zip ties to hold out the power supply cables.