Slow internet

FelixSutton

My house internet has always been slow and we’ve changed routers and providers multiple times. The best download/upload speed was 22 / 5 and that was a while ago. On Steam I use to get 1mb and now I only get 100-300kbs? I thought something was wrong with my adapter so I bought a $48 USB wifi adapter and it rose back up to 1mb for a few seconds then dropped to 100-300. Sometimes the internet randomly drops out or goes very slow. I’ve also tried changing the steam settings but that didn’t help.

Youre using WIFI and expect it to perform consistently?

The best way to test it is by using Lan connection.

$48 for a wifi dongle is too expensive.

And for ISP, what kind of connection? Do you live in a dense populated area?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Youre using WIFI and expect it to perform consistently?

The best way to test it is by using Lan connection.

$48 for a wifi dongle is too expensive.

And for ISP, what kind of connection? Do you live in a dense populated area?

I live in an urban area. I’ve never tried an Ethernet or anything but I thought wifi was capable of pretty good speeds. 

Yeah, Wi-Fi is not always the most optimal to use and could show lower speeds to the connected devices. Could you try running a speed test with connecting via a wire to your internet modem, if it still shows that speed you could try resetting you modem or maybe even asking the cable/fiber/DSL company to come over and take a look at it and make sure that the wiring for your internet is up to date in technology and they may have to change it out and upgrade if they feel so that it is needed to get the speed associated with you internet connection plan with them. Your modem could also be the problem itself if there is a limit on the maximum speed it can give and that may need replacing to get your internet back to a state which is going to work well with the internet speed you should get.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

If you live in a urban area, chances are the bandwidth provided by the ISP is shared between users in the same area.

So you will not get the full speed on busy hours.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w