PC shuts down randomly

Runar Sandstaa

Hi. I am having a problem with my computer where it randomly shuts down (like when you hold down the powerbutton for too long and it makes a "click" when it shuts down). I do not get any warning and the tempereatures look fine. the computer are also usually under hevy load when this problem accures.

Hope someone can help me.

Components (nothing is overclocked):

- Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Prosessor

- Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

- MSI B250M Bazooka, Socket-1151

- HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

- MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X

- Seagate Firecuda 1TB 2,5'' SSHD

- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" HDD

- Cooler Master B500 V2

Without me looking any further - on a glance it looks like the PSU can't supply enough power and cuts out. But I'll take a look and edit this if I find something else out.

Edit: The watt consumption seems to be within reasons, but the likely culprit is probably still the PSU. Shiv said that it isn't a great unit so I'll trust him there and say that it's most likely either damaged or just bad quality. 

PSU isn't a great unit, both wattage and quality wise. Do you have any other PSUs or other computers whose PSUs you could borrow to test it out?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Sounds like a PSU problem.  Few things to do right away, make sure the PSU fan is still spinning and give it a clean, with it off and unplugged, with air pretty thoroughly (might as well do the system too).  Also, to rule out some thing small like a cord or whatever, replace the PSU cord with a known working one and plug it directly into a wall outlet if it's not.  There is always a chance you have a bad power bar/surge protector/ups.

Just comes down to a process of elimination.  Take it from someone who bought a new PSU when they didn't have to, exhaust the stupid stuff.  That being said, if you have access to a known working PSU, do try that first.  A bad PSU can be damaging depending on how it faulted.

5 hours ago, Runar Sandstaa said:

Changed my PSU today, and I still have the same problem. What else could it be?

What model did you switch to?

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

I changed to a Corsair CX850M, got rid of my power bar and changed the cord for the PSU.

• 9 months later...

Was this ever resolved? Have the same issue, with the same board, same with my mate, same issue, same board.

• 11 months later...
On 10/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, Runar Sandstaa said:

I ended up changeing the motherboard and psu

and that worked

Do you mind saying if the new psu had a higher wattage? Do you think it was simply the mobo or did changing the psu help in any way?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 4:15 AM, KyoDivinity said:

Do you mind saying if the new psu had a higher wattage? Do you think it was simply the mobo or did changing the psu help in any way?

The psu did have a higher wattage. i think mayby +100-150w