Restoring Old PC

Hello all!

I have a pretty old PC (10~ yrs) just sitting in the corner and gathering dust. I'm thinking about restoring it by running Ubuntu on it. However, this PC might have some malware and viruses so I'm wondering if there is a software tool (something like pc decrapifier) for Windows Vista or Windows XP (not sure, will check!) to remove viruses or completely clear the hdd so that I can install ubuntu on it and it will run completely normally.

Thanks!

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo
1 (or 2?) gb of RAM (DDR2)
Windows Vista or XP (I'm pretty sure its xp but I will check)

Ps. - If you know, do you think this pc can run ubuntu pretty well? thanks!
p.s.s.  - If there is another thread like this one where someone wants to restore an old pc with Linux, can you post the link. thanks!

You can burn a DVD with Ubuntu , or create a usb stick with Ubuntu of it (if the pc is modern enough to be capable of booting from usb sticks)

Then, during Ubuntu setup, you can simply choose to erase everything on the drive (delete all partitions and let Ubuntu create the partitions the way it likes them)

If you want to keep something from that pc, you could just run ubuntu directly from DVD and use network shares or a usb stick to copy stuff you  want to keep. Or, as long as the network works, you could set up a ftp server on your pc (filezilla ftp server takes literally minutes to install and configure and it's super easy) , and then from ubuntu you can use any built in ftp client to connect to your pc and transfer files over.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can burn a DVD with Ubuntu , or create a usb stick with Ubuntu of it (if the pc is modern enough to be capable of booting from usb sticks)

Then, during Ubuntu setup, you can simply choose to erase everything on the drive (delete all partitions and let Ubuntu create the partitions the way it likes them)

If you want to keep something from that pc, you could just run ubuntu directly from DVD and use network shares or a usb stick to copy stuff you  want to keep. Or, as long as the network works, you could set up a ftp server on your pc (filezilla ftp server takes literally minutes to install and configure and it's super easy) , and then from ubuntu you can use any built in ftp client to connect to your pc and transfer files over.

Agree with this. Boot from USB or CD, erase and install.